Cheapest way to do a half decent job replacing a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just sold my house to an investor who asked very nicely if I would replace the flat roof on my garage before we complete. I could have said no, but decided to get it done just in case he pulls out so the place is ready to go.

Searching around the various materials and methods, most people are obviously mainly concerned with longevity, I'm seeing it more as one less thing for this guy to worry about before he rents the place out and I'll be happy to find a balance between doing a decent job but not using the best materials out there to give him a couple of years before he has to get someone in.

I priced up two layers of slater's felt and a top layer of mineral felt plus cold bituminous adhesive and the price seems to be more than an EPDM membrane, not familiar with the EPDM install so wondering can you get away without all the edging etc. and just seal the whole thing with adhesive? Another option is three layers of shed felt as I have some laying around.

What would you use in the same situation?

Any input much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I've just sold my house to an investor
Any input much appreciated.
Tell them it`s sold as seen - if they want free repairs we`ll help Them DIY it :LOL: . Don`tya just love " investors" ;)

hello Dan,
I've just done my roof with rubberall epdm and I couldn't be happier! the thinnest material has got a 20 year guarantee, it was easy to fit ( I did it myself and I'm very poor at this sort of thing normally) and the cost was less than I was expecting. I would suggest not going for the PVC trims though. As I've written in another section, I got some Sure Edge and they were awful! You really can't go wrong with the rubberall stuff. I forgot to mention, it didn't take me a day to do it and there are no hot works or anything. Hope it works out for you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back