Check/Service existing alarm

• Thread starter roberta1000
  • Start date
R

roberta1000

It's a condition of my house insurance that my burglar alarm is serviced annually by a NACOSS etc. approved engineer. The alarm was in the property before me so there's no way to find out who installed it. Will it be reasonable to ask someone else (who didn't install it) to service it?

(Yes I'm completely aware that an annual check of an intruder alarm is well within my own capabilities but the approval is a condition of the insurer).

Sponsored Links
It's a condition of my house insurance that my burglar alarm is serviced annually by a NACOSS etc. approved engineer. The alarm was in the property before me so there's no way to find out who installed it. Will it be reasonable to ask someone else (who didn't install it) to service it?

(Yes I'm completely aware that an annual check of an intruder alarm is well within my own capabilities but the approval is a condition of the insurer).

we do it all the time - costs though

I dare say ;) but that's OK I charge for my work too. :D
What would be a reasonable ballpark guess?
bungalow, 3 door contacts, 7 movement detectors, 1 bell box, 1 main panel, no dial in/out.

I dare say ;) but that's OK I charge for my work too. :D
What would be a reasonable ballpark guess?
bungalow, 3 door contacts, 7 movement detectors, 1 bell box, 1 main panel, no dial in/out.

£80 ish plus anything found on the first visit, plus first certification charge £20 - £40 depending who you have, all plus vat

but dont quote me on that LOL

Sponsored Links
You don't need NACOSS for cover - just forgo the 15% discount. Local guy will charge you about £40 - £50 per year.

You don't need NACOSS for cover - just forgo the 15% discount. Local guy will charge you about £40 - £50 per year.

the O/P`s insurance can specify what they want be it NSI or SSAIB or the other two who I cant bring myself to name, there the ones taking the risk (nacoss doesnt actually exist anymore BTW)

local guy decides to have a night off thats £40 - £50 wasted then

Not only paranoid but deluded now as well.
When did you become an expert on everyones Insurance Policy terms and conditions?

Robert
As one has already stated, if you find a local nsi gold (nacoss) installer they will service your system for you. Id advise you get a few quotes in. There are various reasons that insurance companies prefer an approved system, vetting of staff, guaranteed performance levels, accountability etc.

Have a look at the nsi website for campanies that cover your area.

Better still get a panel and manual from security warehouse and fit it yourself. It's only a DIY job.

You don't need it - just change insurer - they soon back down when you say you are changing.

You don't need it - just change insurer - they soon back down when you say you are changing.

you might be right - for the average Joe living on a sink estate ,but most of our customers are high net worth individuals where approval is mandatory, maybe the poster is in that lucky psosition too

Rubbish. It is never mandatory. Go round any posh estate and you are saying that only those with alarms have insurance? Are you on drugs?

Rubbish. It is never mandatory. Go round any posh estate and you are saying that only those with alarms have insurance? Are you on drugs?
That's not was said, but then you are not interested in the detail are you?
Stick to plastering, there's a good boy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back