Check valve Question

ijc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any of you guys tell me what the little nut on a check valve is for?

eg.

p1074327_l.jpg

I was having trouble with the filling loop for my combi whereby the tap wouldn't close easily thus allowing pressure to rise in the central heating.

Without thinking I tried turning the nut on the check valve clockwise in the hope it would shut off the flow. (Eventually I persuaded the tap in the filling loop to shut OK anyway....)

I hope I haven't done something that will affect the function of the check valve. Don't want dirty water in my taps!!!

Grateful for your thoughts.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Its a test point to check if the one of the check valves is operating correctly ie not allowing reverse flow. It should be left fully tightened.

The loop should be disconnected (and the fittings capped off) to comply with water regulations but be carefull since many filling loops are of poor quality and are incorrectly fitted and if the check valves don't work properly you could get very wet by doing this.

Nice one, cheers. I tightened it a bit so seems like good news.

I can vouch for the fact that some filling loops are poorly made. The plastic lever on the tap came off in my hand the first time I used it, and like I mentioned, you need the feel of a surgeon to find the position where it shuts off completely.

As ever, thanks for your help and advice.

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back