Cherry Tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved house just over a year ago and have a mature cherry tree (approx 20 yrs old), in the garden, however last summer it bore no fruit at all.

Does anyone know the reason why or possible causes for this and a solution for next year.

many Thanks

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do you know when the last time it bore fruit was? Did it bear any blossom at all?

Yes there was a large amount of blossom on the tree. This was a first summer in the house so cannot be to sure of when it last bore fruit, but I would suggest it was fairly recently before we moved in due to the number of seeds on the ground.

;)

can you give as much info as you can ie position shade/sun what direction facing, type of soil, sheltered exposed, in a good pruned state or all over the place etc etc etc. there are a large number of reasons why and it would be helpful to narrow down it down a bit

Sponsored Links
The tree is in a good sunny position. Not full sun until 11.30 depending on time of year. It is in a reasonable sheltered position. It has been pruned and is a pretty good shape, not over crowded. the soil is acidic. This will be my second summer with the tree so really don't have any history with it. the first summer there were pips all over the floor suggesting it had cheery but they had fallen off.

Did you notice if, after it blossomed, the fruit started to form?

Birds love cherries and you will find that just as they begin to ripen the tree will get stripped of every last bit of fruit. You just get left with pips on the ground....

I did think of that, but given the number of pips the year before, I wouldn't have thought that birds could eat that much. This year however I did not see much fruit form at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back