Chimney failed Flue Inspection - Tenant Damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is one gas fire in the property and it failed the smoke test. Well the guy said the smoke cleared the chimney but not sure if it all came out? He then said as the tenant had attached a tv bracket above the fireplace. The bolts of which may have entered into the chimney cavity and so to be safe he has capped the fire off. Though the gas fire itself is fine.

The TV bracket has been in place for at least 2 inspections I remember.

The gas inspector said it would be a big job to rip up all the bricks and see if there is any ingress.

The property has gas c/h and the tenant himself never used the fireplace.

What should be my next course of action?

Sponsored Links
Undo a TV bracket bolt and check its length. If it's 8" long it could have damaged the flue but on the plus side the TV will never fall off.

Get the chimney swept. Then take the tv bracket off the wall, and see if the bracket holes have gone through to the chimney; but it's unlikely that even if they have, that it could cause an issue. But is there a flue liner in the chimney.

But if you've got the take the bricks out, it's not a difficult job, so I can't understand his comments. You'd knock the plaster off the wall, scrape out the mortar and remove the bricks, and then check for any damage. But if the tenant has damaged the flue, you'd have evidence, and he'd have to pay for the repairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^
What he said.

I think the guy who condemned your chimney may have been over cautious, unless there's a flue liner involved.

Sponsored Links
I would guess the guy did not know how to interpret the test, or have any experience of fires and chimneys.
He says he is not sure if all the smoke came out? Where the heck did it go, then. Did he check in the roofspace?.
If the "pull" was sluggish, did he preheat the chimney?If there is a problem, it is more likely to be with, say, a cobweb (seriously!) or birds nest material than a handful of bolts. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Also, before I started chopping bricks out to investigate a bolt, would it not be simpler just to remove the bolts, and use a prodding device to see if the chimney is breached?

Also, the TYPE of chimney is significant. If the tenant does not use the fire, then why not remove it, and save some annual fees?

So should I get another person out to do a flue check? I am not sure he pre heated the flue at all. The TV has been on the brackets for over 2 inspections and this fire and chimney has never given me a problem.

I think he has been over cautious. Should I get in touch with the company and complain or get another person to check it out first?

Being presumptuous here but... get someone out who has dirt under his fingernails and has to shave at least 4 times a week! :LOL:

I would guess the guy did not know how to interpret the test, or have any experience of fires and chimneys.
He says he is not sure if all the smoke came out? Where the heck did it go, then. Did he check in the roofspace?.
If the "pull" was sluggish, did he preheat the chimney?If there is a problem, it is more likely to be with, say, a cobweb (seriously!) or birds nest material than a handful of bolts. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Also, before I started chopping bricks out to investigate a bolt, would it not be simpler just to remove the bolts, and use a prodding device to see if the chimney is breached?

Also, the TYPE of chimney is significant. If the tenant does not use the fire, then why not remove it, and save some annual fees?

Well if the tenant leaves and then getting in a new tenant they may prefer a gas fire?

Are electric fires safer than gas fires - I mean don't they put strain on the cables and one of the biggest causes of house fires is from electrics?

Gas fires are a cheaper heat source than the central heating, but in the end, it could be more trouble than it's worth. Call the company, and tell them that it's been like that for the last two inspections that passed, and you feel you need to query why it's failed this time when nothings changed. If you get no luck with them, then you either get another inspection so you can keep the fire, or remove it and save the hassles.

Well if the tenant leaves and then getting in a new tenant they may prefer a gas fire?

Are electric fires safer than gas fires - I mean don't they put strain on the cables and one of the biggest causes of house fires is from electrics?

Rather less than some recent electronic devices or tumble driers :eek:

You seemed to have focused on the last resort than sorting the root.
If smoke goes IN the chimney, it will come out. Somewhere. The flue could be damaged in the loft,filling the loft with smoke (and fumes when fire on, and poor flue pull). More likely the wind was blowing the smoke in a position not visible to him. I have in the past done several smokes, while repositioning myself in the front/side/rear garden. Over the road, and standing on walls. Did any smoke enter the room in which the fire is located. ?
Most fire jobs are straightforward, it is the awkward ones that seperate the experienced, and the thinking, from the clowns

First, get an RGI that is registered AND experienced with gas fires. Explain what happened and ask for him to retest and give his opinion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back