Chimney Purlins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've just had the chimney stack removed to below the rafters. The brick corbels on the remaining chimney are still intact and holding up the purlin ends but I would sleep better (in the room below) if the purlins had additional support.

I'm thinking of adding a new 6x2" (or steel plate) sat on the remaining chimney brickwork and coach bolted to the purlins either side - overlapping each purlin by say 2ft. There's no support underneath without beams into the party wall(the chimney is in the middle of the house - not on the party wall).

Any help much appreciated,

Paul

Attachments

• chimney_purlins.jpg
    chimney_purlins.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 153
  • chimney_purlins1.jpg
    chimney_purlins1.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 157
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Did your builder not think to stop when he got below the roofline or was he following orders? I would think the corbeling effect has been reduced with the removal of the chimney bricks above but the purlin is still sitting on it so maybe not an immediate problem, if at all. Is there room in the rest of the loft space to get joists perpendicular to, and below, the respective purlins to offer additional support? They would span wall to wall.

Blup

Scrap of timber and some bolts would do. I'd use 8x2 and 4x M10 at each end. I don't know whether removal of the bricks above affects the corbelling? But one of those things best done regardless for when selling time comes.

Get a 6' length of 8x2" timber and bolt it to both purlins,
Sat evenly on the remaining chimney stack.

Sponsored Links
No worries - thanks for the help. The roofer has sorted it out with a lintel - phew

Attachments

• lintel.jpg
    lintel.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
That was a remarkable turnaround still a bodge with those loose timbers, but far better than nothing.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back