Chimney stack removed advise required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It's my first post, hello everyone festive greetings !

I am in a pickle regarding a chimney breast removal that took place 2 years ago. The chimney stack was removed from the living room, bedroom and up to the loft where some brackets were fixed to a party wall to support the remaining stack just below the roof.

I recently read that building regs approval is required for this type of job, which i had no idea about at the time, so i phoned up my local authority to inquiry what i should do. I was told that i could apply for retrospective approval or i could remove the remaining bricks, take the chimney off the roof and patch it up without building regs getting involved.

Should i take the remaining bricks out or leave the brackets in place and go for retrospective approval ? I have no idea if it will pass, if I left the brackets in place could I go for indemnity insurance, right ? when the time comes to sell ?

I can remove of the chimney bricks myself then pay £300 for the roof patch (I got a quote a few weeks ago).

I’m not sure if that is the best solution, but would really appreciate some advice before going ahead with the work.

All the best

Sponsored Links
I would get the rest removed and patched up. The PP, especially retrospective, will cost almost as much as doing the work to remove.

up to the loft where some brackets were fixed to a party wall to support the remaining stack just below the roof.
As it is a party wall you need to involve the neighbour as what has happened has affected the party wall. removal of the lower section of you chimney stack will have affected the stability of the wall and any further work should be carried out under advice and supervision of a structural engineer.

I am leaning towards taking the rest out, it seems simpler, plus i will be doing most of the brick carrying no need for the gym :p

I should state that the chimney was not keyed into the party wall, instead there were perhaps 2 small metal rods hanging out, it seemed the chimney was stacked up next to the party wall only. I believe the end terrace house was built at a later date to the neighboring house. The party wall consists of a double brick wall with cavity.

I will be seeing a builder tomorrow morning to get another quote for the chimney top removal and patch. I wonder if roofers go up this time of year
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hello everyone,

Just a quick update, I had lots of quotes from several roofers more then i expected to be honest. The price i paid for chimney removal external to roof and new slates and patch, then rubble removal was £380.

The nice guy came this morning and did the job and was finished by 4pm. I then removed the remaining bricks in the loft, feels good knowing i won't have this head ache later when the house goes on the market

All the best :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back