Chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This seems like an obvious question, but allow me to put it in context. I recently got my kitchen fitted and for the past few weeks the plumbing underneath the sink has been leaking water.

There is a small break in the laminate surface (5mm) and this has been absorbing water. The laminate is slightly bumpy now.... Would the structural integrity of the cabinet be undermined now?

Sponsored Links
not really ,but the bump will not go away, hope you got the leak fixed,otherwise the damage will get worse .

If the leak has not been fixed this problem will get worse and if the leak has been fixed the chipboard carcass will dry out but the uneveness of the carcass you describe is permanant because the water sitting on the shelf has soaked into the chipboard and swelled the particals causing it to crack.

If i tend to the leak, does that mean that the chipboard wont be any weaker than normal?

Sponsored Links
The chipboard will be weakened because the fibres have broken down in the board, is this the bottom shelf of the cupboard?

yes it's the bottom shelf, but the damage is localised to about 8cm in diameter

It'll be alright, lucky it's in a cupboard so won't really be seen. You can get metal shelf liner trays, intended for sink units as they usually end up storing cleaning materials and the like. They are like aluminium sheets with raised edges, it will hide any damage and protect from any future drips from your dodgy pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back