Chisel sharpening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found difficulty to get a nice square and even edge on chisels I have sharpened.
I have three ball or wheel gauges. Stanley, Axminster and a.n.other.
I use a 1200 grit water stone. These are general chisels for carpentry, and furniture making now and again.

It is difficult to get the chisel square and flat on the a.n.other .
There is no distance to tell you how far to clamp the chisel out from the gauge to set the right angle on the Axminster.

I end up with an out of square edge ont he chisel usually and its a pig to try to get them:
a. square and
b. even gringing across the face of the chisel.

I may be pushing down on the blade unevenly slightly when sharpening but I do not think that is the issue

How does anyone else get a nice sharp edge at right angles to the blade.
Cut at the right angle for the chisel?

Sponsored Links
youll get used to how to sharped them. it just takes practice. i have a grinder for sharpenin my chisels, altho they often get used on just about everything and are well beaten up

I occasionally square mine up on a grinder (try drawing a line on the back of the chisel with a try-square and work to this). Then give them a tickle with a wet diamond stone, freehand.

Approx 40 degree pitch for general use, approx 30 for fine work. The honing is done with a light touch and is quick and easy if done fairly often. It only takes a few seconds to produce an edge you could shave with.

Also, how flat is your water stone? If you have been pressing hard it may have worn. Try rubbing it (with water) on a piece of wet-and-dry on a very flat surface and see what happens to the surface of the stone.

Water stones need flattening regularly, you can do it if you have two, rub them together and chck the flatness on a sheet of float glass. I found those roller things were the worst news for sharpening I had come across, you can do it by hand quite accurately by holding the chisel across the stone, and lifting the handle until you have the angle you want, then moving it along the lenght of the stone.

Sponsored Links
I was always taught to do a figure of 8 so the whole stone is being used to keep it flat. The best one I have used is when I was at college apprenticeship was the grinder stone like a record player about 18" dia spinning round and it move the chisel side way on it own to sharpen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back