Sharpening tools

Sponsored Links
well there both very good pieces of kit if you can afford it,ive got a couple of the small dmt stones(butterfly type)but i also use my old faithful indian stone that gives a very good edge.i have NEVER been able to get any edge on a carborundum stone no matter how hard i try :rolleyes: but i have just recently bought a block that looks like the dmt stones sold by faithful tools in a plastic holder and seem to be getting on with them ok,travis perkins were selling them for a tenner.

Gregers you beat me to it!! :rolleyes: :D

Just today i used my apprentices UNUSED faithful dmt type stone thingy and was pleased with the result.Normally i just use wet and dry paper to sharpen my chisels and plane blades which is a cheap and effective method.You can find a demo on youtube if you search for 'chisel sharpening'.

I agree with gregers that if you have that kind of money to burn then either of your choices look to be ok.

Just out of curiosity,what do you use your chisels and plane for? Is it for hanging doors etc or is it more intricate work like cabinet making?

Sponsored Links
Dirk, you're contrasting two entirely different tools.

The Sheppach Supergrind is a wet grinder which will give a hollow (concave) grind on the tool; the DMT whetstone is for honing an already ground tool.

I use a Tormek wet grinder (similar to the Sheppach) which I wouldn't be without for grinding all kinds of edge tools. After grinding, the edge needs refining, perhaps by honing a secondary bevel. For that I use a flat stone. Carborundum stones are fine for this. Diamond stones can be faster (and they stay flat) but the cheaper ones can wear out quite quickly.

The most important part of getting a good edge on a chisel or plane blade is to make sure the back of the tool is flat. For that, some kind of flat stone (or lapping tool) is indispensable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back