Chisel sharpening.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you sharpen yours? I find the best ever way is to use a belt sander to get the flat angle - then 30 secs on an extra fine diamond sharpener or oil-stone. Sharp enough to give the missus a Brazilian.

Sponsored Links
If it's for the joinery I tend to touch them up on the belt sander occasionally to give them a concave angle then a honing on the oilstone or if I want a really sharp edge I use the old grey waterstone.
But saying all that in the past in an "emergency" I've used sandpaper, a slate or even a brick.

In the bad old days on site, I have used a 9" grinder to sort out a dinked chisel but value life and limb a lot more these day'sI have used the japanes water stones the stock removal and the chrome like finish is aweosme but tend to use diamond stones these days they seem to tick all the boxes and don't take much room in the tool box

Yes but chisels tend to go 'bullnose' over a period which makes them useless. Thirty secs with a belt sander gets the angle right again. Great for screwdrivers and cold chisels too. I use my sander for sharpening more than sanding.

Sponsored Links
I use a set of the diamond plates which crop up at lidl every now and again, and a Stanley chisel holder for the correct angle. Belt sander is good for every now and again for removing any deep nicks

Norton oil stone in a wooden box with end grain blocks inset (years ago) on the ends to allow the whole of the surface to be used (sometimes :)).
Finish with a strop on a piece of old leather drive belting very (very) occasionally dressed with a dab of fine grinding paste.
I always grind them on the bench grinder freehand when the sharpening angle part gets too long. Light touch, sharp fine stone and plenty of water to save drawing the temper.
I haven't got any, and probably won't bother now but the diamond plates look the dog's wotsits.

Just finished a set down too 2500 grit sandpaper held on the table saw cast iron plating.
The bevels came up like mirrors and are like razors.
Also used the 6" ruler method. Do any of you do that?

Never heard of the six inch ruler method, what is it?

Mmmm. I just can't understand why Norcon would use it. ;)

I reckon figure 8 sharpening is a lot of boloney,unless you want a slight camber on a plane blade or gouge sharpening, but for chisels it has no value at all for the chisel or the stone, but has become a dogma for some.

i was always told it helped save the stone.

1 thing i soon learned for me,always use an indian stone or diamond jobbie.
for the life of me cannot get an edge on the carbide 1s.

I reckon figure 8 sharpening is a lot of boloney,unless you want a slight camber on a plane blade or gouge sharpening, but for chisels it has no value at all for the chisel or the stone, but has become a dogma for some.
I've always sort of done it, and even went to the trouble of letting in a (little used TBH) couple of endgrain pieces either end of the stone box to use the whole stone. Haven't needed to flat the stone yet in 30 odd years, but I've got a feeling that's more down to the stone than my efforts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back