Choice of CU (Brand)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks-longish time since I last posted :oops:

Can you give me your opinion of the different brands of CU's? As usual - looking for the best make at the best price but don't want to scrimp on safety or quality. What I'm after is a split box 5+5 with 100A Switch + 80A 30mA RCD. The brands available are MK, Crabtree, Volex, Hagar, Wylex, Proteus, Contactum + ????? What do you guys reckon is the best deal amongst these?

cheers

firkin :D

Sponsored Links
Don't be shy folks - I'm not going to hold you personally responsible for any thing you say - I'd just like to hear your opinions.
(just occurred to me - is there anything wrong with my request - i,e, against a forum rule or anything?)

Firkin :(

No, not really. Hager or MK are the better ones you mention. Don't touch Proteus or Volex with a barge pole.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. :D

Spark123 - I thought Volex were okay - are you getting mixed up with Wylex? I know from these boards that many don't seem to think too well of them - or is it me that's getting mixed up? :LOL:

Securespark - do you have a link for MEM - I can only find the metal ones so far?

Firkin:cool:

I'm not a fan of Wylex either I'm afraid, Volex are cheap and as with everything in life you get what you pay for. iirc Volex and Wylex are parts of the same company, (as is Crabtree.)

MEM's domestic range is called Memera. If you search on that you will find them.

Memera 2000 is one range; 2000AD is the other which looks a bit smoother but I am not sure it is as strongly built. AD has the advantage that you can cut the busbar to the length of your choice if you have a split-load installation - so if you have a 12-way you can split it 11/1; 6/6, 4/8, 10/2 or anything else at whim. If you change your mind later you can buy a new busbar kit for a few pounds.

Incidentally the Memera CUs will accept Memshield 2 MCBs (which is the industrial range) but not vice-versa as the Memshield busbar is bigger. You can also fit the same RCBOs and pods (which I think is particularly clever) interchangeably in the same way. Although the various ranges of MCBs will all fit, the "AD" range MCBs do not accept pods and do not have the red/green Contact indicator window so I don't like them.

I always think it's worth having a bigger CU than you think you need - the extra cost of empty plastic and fresh air is very slight, and it may save a lot of trouble if you want to add circuits later.

I would personally go for either MEM or hager.

I have stopped using MK as the MCBs have got very cheap and nasty, and we have had a few fail on us.

Hager have recently brought out a new range of CUs which are very nice.

http://consumer-unit.hager.co.uk

I'll always go for Wylex units - solidly built, and proven design, and easily available nationwide at low prices.
I always had a Wylex din-rail fitting MCB unit in every property I have lived in.

Guys - what can I say - you have done me well :D

RF - I like these Hagers but - at £129:00 for the basic unit at trade prices -and then the cost of the MCBs on top of that - I hate to think what that little lot would cost me :eek: (very nice though ;) ) I take your point as well about the MKs and respect your frankness. I think they were perhaps the best option for too long and are now trying to earn more profit than previously.

Lectrician - the MEMs are nice and appear to be as functional as any others. I can get one for £80:00 and then the price of the MCBs on top of that - would come out fairly reasonable - unless you can point me to an even cheaper source? :LOL: .

John D - beat you to that point - the 10 way is actually larger than I need :D

Spark123, I actually thought quite well of Crabtree - until your very informative reply. Firkin's education continues day by day ;)

Thanks again guys - mucho thinking to be done about choice now :confused:

regards

firkin :cool:

S****fix have a deal on at the moment for an MK splitload board (100A Msw/80A RCD) and 10 mcbs's (1*40,4*32,2*16,3*6) for £60

Hey guys, let's hear it for Crabtree! The Starbreaker range is, imo, excellent. The insulated live busbar is a nice touch, no pun intended :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back