Choosing a consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again, chaps.

As much fun as I'm having reading up and tacking DIY projects (I bought a house of a thousand hidden bodges), I'm thinking of getting the main consumer unit replaced. It works fine, but it's clearly the original from when the house was built. I don't plan on replacing it myself - I'm not mental.

Walking into my local B&Q is going to be particularly illuminating; are there any particular brands to avoid or choose?

View media item 68783

Sponsored Links
The usual answer is your electrican will purchase a suitable model/brand for you at trade prices.

This is much better than you guessing at something and giving your electrican something substandard to work with

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I just wondered if there were any particular brands to avoid; I intend to let the sparkie spec the stuff. I'm just a bit sceptical after the last two electricians I've dealt with - I can always look up whatever they suggest, I suppose.

Get your electrician to choose and supply the board, after all, he is the one who has to fit it.

Hopefully he will get something like Hager, Wylex, Crabtree, MK...

Anything else may or may not be a bit rubbish.

I quite like the BG boards as a cheaper alternative but they seem to rising in price of late, but as above Hager, Wylex, Crabtree, i will defer on the MK, as I am not impressed with them!

I know what you mean about the MK boards, the quality is declining.

Fitting the lid seems to be a nightmare.

Another good reason for using the brands I mentioned, besides quality, is that you have a good chance of getting spare parts in the future.

That's great, thanks for the pointers. I know that a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, but it helps!

I keep away from MK, anything from electrium (wylex, volex, crabtree etc), and any of the chinese three lettered tat. (MCG,GCD,CGI, etc)

BG don't seem too bad as a budget board, but personal preference is Hager. Our local independant wholesaler is knocking out schneider domestic dual RCD boards fully loaded for £55 +vat which is quite tempting.

About the 6th vote for Hager.

I also like Eaton stuff a lot though - it looks nicer if it's on display

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back