Choosing a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, new member here although I have been browsing the forums for some time.

My bathroom is in desperate need of an overhaul - it is basically the original 1960s suite, in a tiny room, with the only addition being a Triton electric shower which we don't use as it produces about as much water as a gnat with a kidney stone.

We have an electric water heater (immersion tank, Economy 7 so heats up overnight and has a boost switch for extra heating during the day if needed) which is in the airing cupboard in a bedroom along the hallway from the bathroom, and a cold water tank in the loft above the bathroom.

Am I correct in thinking this set-up means we could install a power shower fairly easily?

And if so, what are the pros and cons of a shower with a built-in pump versus one with a separate pump?

If we went with a separate pump, would it need to be fitted in the airing cupboard next to the hot water tank? Are they noisy in operation, bearing in mind this is in our bedroom?

Any advice or links to relevant sites would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
a power shower over a seperate pump will be quieter easyer to install, quicker to install.

a power shower over a seperate pump will be quieter easyer to install, quicker to install.
Thanks for the quick reply - when you say over a separate pump, would the pump need to be out in the airing cupboard by the hot tank? In which case it may well be quiet from the bathroom but will the pump be noisy in the bedroom where the airing cupboard is?

This is something of an issue for me as my wife gets up for work an hour and a half before I do in the mornings :)

best place is next to cylinder you can put in loft etc but they are still noisey.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply - when you say over a separate pump, would the pump need to be out in the airing cupboard by the hot tank? In which case it may well be quiet from the bathroom but will the pump be noisy in the bedroom where the airing cupboard is?

This is something of an issue for me as my wife gets up for work an hour and a half before I do in the mornings :)

I've just had a separate pump installed as opposed to a power shower as we have a number of showers to run and the mains pressure generally isnt great. I would say that whilst the water now comes out of the taps in fireman hose fashion the noise is a nuisance. The further you can site it away from bedrooms the better (Assuming that's possible from the operational angle.).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back