Choosing bathroom fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I've been shortlisting fitting for our replacement bathroom for some weeks now and am really struggling to make decisions, got a huge spreadsheet going on! There are so many online retailers and so many brands to choose from. I want to get fittings that will last at least a decade but need to get good value too. We intend to stay in the house and the it's main bathroom so will see a lot of use as we're a family of four with kids growing fast. Would really appreciate some brand recommendations around the items listed here:

- Thermostatic bar shower valve with rail (no riser) - huge range of prices, want a good one as will be so well used e.g is this Triton from Screwfix going to last 10 years? https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-benito-rear-fed-exposed-chrome-thermostatic-mixer-shower/9164t
- 1600mm long bath - is 4mm thick material good enough for standing in as that's main use of bath?
- Short projection toilet preferably rimless - can't decide if RAK are too cheapo
- Smallish single hole full pedestal basin - roughly 450x350mm - again are RAK products going to look ok in 5 years?
- Frameless bath screen/door min 800 x1200mm - should I choose 5,6,8mm glass?
- monobloc twn control basin mixer - is £45 ok or do I need to pay more for such a well used item?
- Consider this usual bath waste filler and valve combo, thoughts please https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/premier-freeflow-bath-filler-e301

Comments welcome folks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
many brands to choose from. I want to get fittings that will last at least a decade but need to get good value too. We intend to stay in the house and the it's main bathroom so will see a lot of use as we're a family of four with kids growing
So you want cheap,long lasting,kid proof,10years lifetime, no wonder your head hurts.

Sponsored Links
If you have a busy family and the bathroom is going to see major traffic then don't budget on it last 10 Years. Finishings will get dull and worn after about 5 and it'll need a refresh after that time. High quality fittings/fixtures will last about that, with spares available so they can be serviced and brought back to new.

The more you spend the longer it'll last. Porcelain/ceramic is the only material that will last anywhere near that time IMO.

Unless you're planning on fitting it yourself, your spreadsheet is probably going nowhere- you'll get a cheaper job by using a good builder or bathroom fitter (get recommendations from neighbours) and asking him just to do the job to your spec (emphasis on being childproof and easy clean). With the bonus that you don't have to worry about your mail order stuff having a key component missing or an odd thread come fitting day (if you're DIY then you'd be able to work round it)
Other stuff to consider;
Pop up wastes are a bit poor. Good old fashioned plug with a chain on it works so much better.
Loo- get the cheapest one you can afford with smooth lines underneath/round by the soil pipe- the bargain ones from B & Q etc have quite complex shapes back there that are time consuming to clean. Wooden seats are warm on the bum first thing in the morning :)
Taps- consider lever taps for bath and basin (difficult to get them to drip, difficult to overtighten them,easy to open and close them)
Personally I'd pass on the bath screen if the kids are very young- it'll get slammed to and fro. Cheap rubbish shower curtain for now, put something nicer in later
Washbasin- you'll need somewhere to put all the usual stuff (spare loo roll, spare soap, all the toothbrushes etc). You'll either want a shelf thing or a cupboard under the basin
Electric toothbrushes- you'll be wanting a shaver socket on your shelf thing to charge them up
And a light on your shelf thing so you can see what you're doing.

Aqualisa, Hansgrohe, Vado, or Mira for showers
Trojancast bath if it's mostly going to be used for standing in
RAK are OK, I've fitted a couple of theirs with no issues. Also look at Duravit, Vitra, or Twyford
Ditto for the basin. Be aware that different manufacturers use different shades of white, so don't try to mix and match
8mm glass
£45 is waaaaay too cheap. Again, look at Hansgrohe, or Bristan, or Vado. Don't buy anything unbranded or obscure because you'll never get spares for it when the time comes
Ditto with the bath filler. Unlikely you'll get spares for that one you've linked to

Just consider that if you're employing someone to fit this for you that fitting generally costs the same, regardless of the value of the sanitaryware; and can actually cost more as many of the cheaper products are foreign imports that do not come with standard connections (or even comply to UK regs in some instances) and may require various, hard to obtain, adaptors. They can also require a lot more assembly than the known brands. So you have to ask yourself do you want to compromise on quality when it's going to cost the same (or more) to fit? Don't get caught in a false economy.
As a general rule for laypersons... think of a figure then treble it :)

I got all mine from Better Bathrooms. It’s all ****e.
I’m just in the middle of a refresh and I’m changing the bath, basin, taps, floating vanity unit, shower screen and bath panel. Bought the lot from better bathrooms and it doesn’t seem too bad - we've paid much more for similar quality. This is the 4th bathroom we are on in this house and we paid around £700 for the lot. I’m not kidding but the gold towel rail we bought for our first bathroom in the early nineties cost more than that! No doubt she'll want a change again in a few years time so I’m done with spending big money on stuff she gets fed up with. Tip I've learned - let them pick the stuff and there’ll be no moaning about things.

On ours i’ve had to change fill valves on both the toilets, the toilet outlets weren’t round. The connections to the shower (eco S9) were poor, very deep 3/4 thread. All the hoses and heads for the shower were poor quality plastic so I binned them and got brass ones.

Dear all,

I've been shortlisting fitting for our replacement bathroom for some weeks now and am really struggling to make decisions, got a huge spreadsheet going on! There are so many online retailers and so many brands to choose from. I want to get fittings that will last at least a decade but need to get good value too. We intend to stay in the house and the it's main bathroom so will see a lot of use as we're a family of four with kids growing fast. Would really appreciate some brand recommendations around the items listed here:

- Thermostatic bar shower valve with rail (no riser) - huge range of prices, want a good one as will be so well used e.g is this Triton from Screwfix going to last 10 years? https://www.screwfix.com/p/triton-benito-rear-fed-exposed-chrome-thermostatic-mixer-shower/9164t
- 1600mm long bath - is 4mm thick material good enough for standing in as that's main use of bath?
- Short projection toilet preferably rimless - can't decide if RAK are too cheapo
- Smallish single hole full pedestal basin - roughly 450x350mm - again are RAK products going to look ok in 5 years?
- Frameless bath screen/door min 800 x1200mm - should I choose 5,6,8mm glass?
- monobloc twn control basin mixer - is £45 ok or do I need to pay more for such a well used item?
- Consider this usual bath waste filler and valve combo, thoughts please https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/premier-freeflow-bath-filler-e301

Comments welcome folks!

Despite what’s been posted earlier I always use a working spreadsheet when I need to make a substantial number of associated purchases. I find it absolutely invaluable.

I start by making a generic list of everything I need (or think I need!) in as logical order as I can, with an educated guess at the individual cost,... and refine it from there.

Although you need to take an holistic approach to the whole bathroom package I find it best to concentrate on one item at a time and list it’s details in the spreadsheet,.. along with associated cost/totals of course;...then move on to the next item. If you flit around quickly from one item to another you’ll probably find you get nowhere fast. That’s when your brain starts hurting. :confused:

Your list will certainly change and evolve as you work through it,... and previous items may/will be superseded with better options , but hopefully you’ll end up with a purchase list (with costs) that you are happy with.

I’m a reasonable DIY plumber (going back some 40 years) and I’ve recently performed the above ‘purchasing’ task for the complete refit/upgrade to my son’s bathroom at his new house;...it does take a fair bit of time, effort and research though,...and I guess the above method will certainly not suit everyone.

Thank you for your reply. I have indeed been using a spreadsheet which has been invaluable.

Currently I'm trying to decide whether to install a concealed valve wall mount bath filler but am concerned about future maintenance and valves leaking in the wall without us knowing. I expect the installation is key but would like to hear views from the forum.

Thanks again.

Thank you for your reply. I have indeed been using a spreadsheet which has been invaluable.

Currently I'm trying to decide whether to install a concealed valve wall mount bath filler but am concerned about future maintenance and valves leaking in the wall without us knowing. I expect the installation is key but would like to hear views from the forum.

Thanks again.
As per my reply above, get a good quality recognized brand and all will be well. Go for an obscure make and you'll never get spares for it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back