Christmas and January project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a garage which I’m going to make into a family games room.

I’m diy-ing it!

Have a few questions that hopefully can be answered here.

1) existing garage has leaning brickwork- just movement that I can work with as is? You’ll note there is a crack in the middle. Going to remove that segment and put in classic Crittall doors (where the crack and window are)

2) adding a segment at the far end- a 2m x 2m addition. 2m on one side, 2.2m on the other. What are the minimum depth required for the foundations? Does building control need informing at PD?

3) is it legally ok to use old single glazed Crittall windows in a ‘habitable’ garage?

Thankyou good people. Bless you and yours this Christmas!

Ps. Pics should be explanatory. (These might be a different order) 1) bubble on the level to show the lean
2) pic of meaning wall. 3) crack (to be removed) 4) and 5) interior shots.

Attachments

• F353A8DE-AABD-476E-966D-BF61309E0577.jpeg
    F353A8DE-AABD-476E-966D-BF61309E0577.jpeg
    479.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 8E693069-CE5D-420F-B8C5-76F169205D97.jpeg
    8E693069-CE5D-420F-B8C5-76F169205D97.jpeg
    550.7 KB · Views: 156
  • B4D19EC7-F8A7-440C-9813-B1155F5E9F21.jpeg
    B4D19EC7-F8A7-440C-9813-B1155F5E9F21.jpeg
    528.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 13EFCF38-D036-41C6-86FF-9AFD6016B829.jpeg
    13EFCF38-D036-41C6-86FF-9AFD6016B829.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 138
  • A73AF93D-E631-48A7-9CFE-DF8E9D6F7B0F.jpeg
    A73AF93D-E631-48A7-9CFE-DF8E9D6F7B0F.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
Hello all,

I have a garage which I’m going to make into a family games room.
Do you really intend chucking loads of money at that old shed? In order to get that up to habitable (heated) spec', you'll need to spend a fortune. Do you really want to be putting that much lipstick on a pig?

It would be dropped if it was mine, especially considering the amount it a sunk.

Do you really intend chucking loads of money at that old shed? In order to get that up to habitable (heated) spec', you'll need to spend a fortune. Do you really want to be putting that much lipstick on a pig?

It would be dropped if it was mine, especially considering the amount it a sunk.
Love all the fancy technical knowledge you have quoted. Justify your explanation then you might have a bit of credibility……

I would suggest in establishing why it’s suffered movement - poor foundations or shrinkable clay soil or trees nearby.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest in establishing why it’s suffered movement - poor foundations or shrinkable clay soil or trees nearby.
What’s interesting is that the inner skin (double brick garage) doesn’t seem to have moved…. I’ve cut down bushes in front of it. If you look at the interior brickwork (and exterior) it all looks totally sound to me. The verticals are all correct. Can’t understand why earlier poster called it a pig. Looks solid to me apart from the slope, which might even have been built like that? Just need to know how I could strengthen it, if that’s the most appropriate action

I like the current set up on the counter of beer fridge next to pie oven :giggle:

The part with the crack doesn't seem the strongest, big old window and not much of a lintel?

Current roof sheets look like asbestos cement?

Looks a handy enough building, don't think it's going to fall down anytime soon, but I wouldn't pour my life savings into doing it up.

I like the current set up on the counter of beer fridge next to pie oven :giggle:

The part with the crack doesn't seem the strongest, big old window and not much of a lintel?

Current roof sheets look like asbestos cement?

Looks a handy enough building, don't think it's going to fall down anytime soon, but I wouldn't pour my life savings into doing it up.
Yes, that old beer fridge has been through thick and thin with me. Bought it for £7 over 10 years ago down the boot sale. .
Yes, Roof going to be replaced.
Crack going to be cut out and putting in salvage 50’s Crittall French doors.
It’s going to be an ancillary room. I want to put a few quid into it…. I can’t see why it couldn’t last 100 years…. It all looks solid enough???

What’s interesting is that the inner skin (double brick garage) doesn’t seem to have moved…. I’ve cut down bushes in front of it. If you look at the interior brickwork (and exterior) it all looks totally sound to me. The verticals are all correct. Can’t understand why earlier poster called it a pig. Looks solid to me apart from the slope, which might even have been built like that? Just need to know how I could strengthen it, if that’s the most appropriate action
It looks like a single skin garage with 9 inch piers from the photos, rather than a double brick.

I wouldn't stick lovely cittral doors on that :unsure: don't bodge it do it properly

I wouldn't stick lovely cittral doors on that :unsure: don't bodge it do it properly
No idea what you mean…. There’s an awful lot of people on here so it seems, who talk bxllox and think we should listen. Total trolls. If only they had a brain to give a qualified anwser…..

It can’t be as interior straight, outside sloping, and from the side it’s too wide….
Look at the brickwork. It's flush with the window on the inside, Look at how the the brickwork is on the outside at the window. You don't normally have 9 inch piers with 9 inch brickwork. That to me looks like a typical single skin garage with 9 inch piers.

Look at the brickwork. It's flush with the window on the inside, Look at how the the brickwork is on the outside at the window. You don't normally have 9 inch piers with 9 inch brickwork. That to me looks like a typical single skin garage with 9 inch piers

You’re a legend mate!!​

It is, as you say, a single!! AND my shabby measurements with a small level were wrong too. So I took several new levels and they were all straight. It looked ****ed I think because the patio has got a big fall on it and was throwing my eyes out….. you’re obviously a pro. Any other advice will be gratefully received!!!!!

I was looking at the crack under the window -its wider at the top than the bottom, could be an indicator of foundation movement.

As you have rechecked and the brickwork is pumb it may be solid

What are the minimum depth required for the foundations
impossible for us to say -its dependant on load bearing capacity of the ground and influences like trees and hedges

if the job is to building regs then most likely 1000mm down from ground level x 450mm wide

if a DIY job to your satisfaction then anything from 450 to 800mm deep. You dont need to trench fill if you dont mind laying blocks in a trench.

Note: its a single skin garage and will always be prone to ingress of damp -so I would recommend cladding the outside with say timber. You can cover the brickwork with tyvek housewrap or similar, then vertical 2 x 1 battens then timber cladding. That way you have a 25mm cavity for rain to drain away keeping it dry

Does building control need informing at PD?
not sure what that means

If you want to be compliant to building regs, you have a lot to considerations -starting with how you apply for the regs: full approval or building notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back