Christmas and January project

Love all the fancy technical knowledge you have quoted. Justify your explanation then you might have a bit of credibility……
If there are poor foundations then the rest of the project is a money wasting exercise. Lipstick on a pig is a well worn phrase and sums up when people want to turn a low-end building into habitable space.

Sponsored Links
If there are poor foundations then the rest of the project is a money wasting exercise. Lipstick on a pig is a well worn phrase and sums up when people want to turn a low-end building into habitable space.
You haven’t read all the thread. It looks sounds. If you can enlighten me with anything else then I’d be grateful, but anymore pseudo dick Emery jokes will be ignored (ps I liked dick emery, but poor impersonators won’t be tolerated)

I think the point is what costs are you actually saving by investing into what you have, rather than knocking it down and doing it properly from scratch

If you want something up to standard/code, surely it's cheaper to knock it down and clear it in a day yourself, and start from scratch

Rather than extend a brick outhouse and make habitable etc

But if you are only tarting it up then crack on

Sponsored Links
I don't know which to admire the most - the enthusiasm for the conversion, or the optimism for the January time frame.

:unsure:

You haven’t read all the thread. It looks sounds. If you can enlighten me with anything else then I’d be grateful, but anymore pseudo dick Emery jokes will be ignored (ps I liked dick emery, but poor impersonators won’t be tolerated)
I think the point is what costs are you actually saving by investing into what you have, rather than knocking it down and doing it properly from scratch

If you want something up to standard/code, surely it's cheaper to knock it down and clear it in a day yourself, and start from scratch

Rather than extend a brick outhouse and make habitable etc

But if you are only tarting it up then crack on

Quite honestly, I’m really suprised at all the negatives. It’s a brick structure that has dpc, is (after looking more closely at it) well made….. why do I need to go and loose 10 bags and a load of mucking about when I can modify this??? I’d be mad!!!! There’s not one reason that I can think of after reading the thread of why I should.

why do I need to go and loose 10 bags and a load of mucking about when I can modify this??? I’d be mad!!!! There’s not one reason that I can think of
Because you posted this....

1) existing garage has leaning brickwork- just movement that I can work with as is? You’ll note there is a crack in the middle.
What are the minimum depth required for the foundations? Does building control need informing at PD?

1) bubble on the level to show the lean
My response was based on YOUR initial information. I'm terribly sorry you didn't get the response you wanted. However, you still would be wise to check the foundations even if your garage has miraculously levelled itself in the meantime. Start there.

Last edited:
I’m all for a bit of diy, but what’s your plan here?

How will you make it habitable? What spec insulation for the floors and walls, how are you going to do an inner skin for the walls?

I assume you’re replacing the roof? Are you going for a cold roof or a warm one? Do you know what depth of insulation you’ll need? How about the vapour barrier, etc?

Are you any good a brick laying if you’re extending it?

While it may seem counterintuitive to demolish what’s there, a well built timber frame room of better proportions maybe on par with working with what you’ve got there already.

There's 2.1m from DPC to rafter. That's a door frame.

So assuming a floor can be insulated to current regs within the 150mm from slab to DPC, that means that by the time the roof insulation is added, all the doors will need to open outwards, and no games involving standing up straight could be played in there.

I had a detached garage in my last place that I thought about converting but it just wasn’t worth the effort. I had a few builders round to get their thoughts on it and they mentioned a lot of the type of things above.
Sometimes to get what you want you have to accept things and do it a different way. Removing an old structure and replacing with a timber framed version sounds like an awesome project to me.

The biggest mistake folk make is doing a half hearted attempt at habitable and are subsequently very disappointed. Having spent all those thousands only to end up with a place that's difficult to heat, difficult to keep cool and is seldom used because of the mouldy walls and damp smell.

I’m all for a bit of diy, but what’s your plan here?

How will you make it habitable? What spec insulation for the floors and walls, how are you going to do an inner skin for the walls?

I assume you’re replacing the roof? Are you going for a cold roof or a warm one? Do you know what depth of insulation you’ll need? How about the vapour barrier, etc?

Are you any good a brick laying if you’re extending it?

While it may seem counterintuitive to demolish what’s there, a well built timber frame room of better proportions maybe on par with working with what you’ve got there already.

I’ve carefully read through the comments. The main issue that has been raised (aside from my early comments on foundations) are about the fact it’s a single skin and that will need addressing from an insulation/damp perspective… all of which is easily done with batten, circular saw, tyvek and insulation material. I’m still very confused at to why a perfectly strong unit is being seen in a bad light. There’s also no saving to be made for demolishing it. The products are out there to make this unit work….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back