Christmas Dinner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, seem to be doing it again this year.

And we have three extra mouths this year, invited by M-i-L, a total of 11.

Don't ask. :evil:

We have a huge chicken this year, 11/12 lbs.

Just reading some chef's tips in the papers....one says leave the bird out of the fridge overnight to let it come up to room temperature slowly so it'll cook more evenly.

D'you think that's wise??

Second, there's another tip to roast the bird upside down so that the fat from the legs drips onto the breast and keeps it moist.

And then partway through, you turn the bird onto the other breast (still upside down). Finally, you finish it off the right way up.

Now, this all sounds like cook's p*rn ( :eek: ), but has anyone tried these methods?

Sponsored Links
Sounds fair enough to me - about 4.25 to 4.5 hours cooking time

As a qualified food scientist, I'm a bit bothered about leaving poultry unrefrigerated for many hours.

You reckon it'll be OK?

You're not leaving it in a heavily heated room overnight. Plus it'll be in the oven by 10 or 11 tomorrow. It'll be fine - we've got our turkey crown sitting in the kitchen since tea time today until we shove it in tomorrow at midday/ one-ish

Sponsored Links
Every year, we get a fresh turkey in the morning on Xmas eve. It then stays on the kitchen work surface until it's cooked next day. Never had any problems. Whether it's fresh or frozen, making sure it's properly cooked is the main thing. Best not to have any heating on in the kitchen, and close door to rest of house.

Big chicken that, have you noticed things are being cooked from frozen nowadays, yrs ago it was don't do it.
Always cooked stuff from frozen if it was needed, no matter what the size,
spend all this money being told what to do, then spend all this money to tell you they was wrong???, and theyr'e scientist?

Has it come from fridge or freezer?
Mother in law defrosted it for about 4 days days in fridge, then to us already thawed.

PS - saw that bearded matey boy food critic on BBC One Show advising people that a turkey needs over a week to defrost in a fridge.

Big chicken that, have you noticed things are being cooked from frozen nowadays, yrs ago it was don't do it.
Always cooked stuff from frozen if it was needed, no matter what the size,
spend all this money being told what to do, then spend all this money to tell you they was wrong???, and theyr'e scientist?
Scientists know jack all really - they're by and large covering their ar$es in the event of it going boobs up

Thanks.

I shall put my mind at rest.

I've made some vanilla ice cream, now I must go and make the brandy butter.

Just wondering what recipe to use to cook the chestnuts now..

You have put the carrot. mince pie and wee dram out for santa on anything resembling a hearth?

I'm fading with booze now, so in case I doze off or become incomprehensible, may I wish you, your wife/partner and your charming children all the very best wishes for tomorrow and the forthcoming new year?

You have put the carrot. mince pie and wee dram out for santa on anything resembling a hearth?

I'm fading with booze now, so in case I doze off or become incomprehensible, may I wish you, your wife/partner and your charming children all the very best wishes for tomorrow and the forthcoming new year?

Merci, et toi! Indeed, the same for everyone!

Happy Christmas and Happy Eating everyone!

I've left the SantaSnax outside as he can't fit down our chimney.

Although, not a carrot, I've left some mushrooms as that's what Reindeer prefer.

Sponsored Links
Back