Christmas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, now i've got two children, and i'm a big kid myself, so I love Christmas. If we get snow too, its my favourite time of year. But I am 100% against it starting in August/September. I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why Christmas needs to be mentioned anywhere before 1st December, or maybe the first Sunday in advent, if that falls in November. Do we really need a four month build up??

My wife bought a chocolate log cake from the shop last week. Its just a normal chocolate log cake, but since mid-september its being sold as a "Christmas Choclate Log", the box nicely decorated with Christmas trees, holly and snow. The cake goes out of date on the 23rd October - more than 2months BEFORE Christmas, so how the hell can it be a Christmas chocolate log?? Surely that is a very clear indication that its too early to even mention the 'C' word??

Does anyone actually enjoy Christmas starting before summer (I think we've had a summer this year...) is over??

Sponsored Links
Our 'celebrations' start on 22nd Dec and 'christmas' itself starts at 6pm on 24th Dec, and ends at midnight...

It's quite funny to see how many others get so worked up into a frenzy for so long...

Sponsored Links
Christmas is sooo different when you have young sprogs.

I absolutely love the Christmas holiday, it means i can shut down for two whole weeks without anyone bothering me. I'd be lying if i said i don't enjoy it myself though.

Commercially speaking Christmas has gone crazy. The sheer panic on the faces of food shoppers dashing aboot getting stuff that will only be half eaten.

My wife makes Christmas so easy for me, she is a star.

Commercially speaking Christmas has gone crazy. The sheer panic on the faces of food shoppers dashing aboot getting stuff that will only be half eaten.

Aaaah, you mean panic buying all manner of food because the supermarkets are going to be closed for a week, oh wait, no sorry, I mean........36hours..... :rolleyes:

As I said, I'm not being a Scrooge about Christmas, I love it and I love the chance it gives me to spend time with the family, but I don't get how anyone can need 4months to get ready for it. Some people must already be worrying about what Easter Eggs to buy for people....

Bad enough that kids are bombarded with "Back to School" offers in Asda and Tesco a few weeks before they break up for the summer holidays. Christmas adverts etc seem to start earlier each year.
Some years ago, I had the misfortune to have to take the sister in law to Morrisons to do her food shopping on Christmas Eve. Got there at ten o clock and the place was packed to the gunnels with people. Staff were trying to fill shelves as well. Had the place caught fire, there would almost certainly have been deaths.

i used to love it, but now i don't see my kids over the whole break, its heartbreaking.

That's cuz you are getting your leg over in Blackpool. ;)

There's a garden centre near me that has a very impressive Christmas department which starts in the middle of August.

i used to love it, but now i don't see my kids over the whole break, its heartbreaking.

he means he doesnt see his kids for the whole xmas break......he does see them on xmas eve and on xmas day......

and as he says he doesnt love it anymore...............his turkey dinner will be in the postman this year :p

is it me or does it get earlier every year.
we still keep the tradition in our house of not putting the tree or any decs up until 2nd week into December.
but Christmas really doesn't start until the 24 December as my youngest birthday is on the 23rd.and my middle child's is on the 13th of January,YEP WELL PLANNED THEY WERNT :rolleyes:

mind you it isnt the same now as 2 years ago my dad died on the 21st of December.so the hole thing feels rather empty now.but as it is for the kids a brave face is put on.

Im divorced but now I see mine equal rights for access it is what I fought for in court so dont give up . But its cost me near on £7000 just because I have a penis between my legs (Else access and a nice council house would of been mine)

Sponsored Links
Back