chrysler radiator replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Chrysler grand Voyager 3.3 Automatic 97 reg)
Just had the automatic transmission oil pipe burst in the radiator transmission fluid/oil and coolant turned milky chocolate, I intend to replace the radiator myself, cant afford garage prices, any tips on the best method to flush the contaminated automatic transmission oil and coolant from the system or any other tips on replacing a the radiator, the air con system doesn’t work and no gas in the system to empty/re-fill

Sponsored Links
Yes. The automatic transmission fluid (hydraulic oil) runs through the radiator to be cooled and back to the gear box, the pipe has burst inside the radiator and the fluid has spilled out. What fluid remains in the gear box is now contaminated with water. replacing the radiator should not be to difficult but not sure how to flush and clean out the contaminated automatic transmission fluid from the gear box, the engine cooling system will also have to be flushed out
Also not sure If any damage has occurred to the gear box as I was travelling 70mph down the motorway at the time.
Any tips

Most but not all auto boxes have a drain plug. If it has, remove it and get all the oil out. If it's clean just renew the oil with the required amount. If it's mixed with water you'd be best to remove the sump pan from the bottom of the box and make sure you get it all out. If it doesn't have a drain plug, you'll have to remove the pan anyway. You'll probably have to flush the cooling system too.

Sponsored Links
an owners forum may help with the trans fluid change, someone will have posted a detailed explanation on the procedure. as said it may be better to remove the oil pan and change the internal filter if it has one to get any sludge out
a lot of the sludge will be in the radiator and expansion tank, you could use a hose to flush out the engine side

Back