Flushing cooling system - Degreasant for removing Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

I've got a Van that has probably got a slightly leaking Head gasket which has caused a mild build up of black oil into the cooling system.

The Van runs perfectly fine, but of course I would like to clean this build up of junk out so it CONTINUES to run fine. I know black oil is horrible stuff that clings to everything. I wanted peoples opinions of what to use to properly clean the cooling system out.

Is there something good that I can put in the Coolant - Even temporarily, that will emulsify the oil and help clean the system out?
I know the famous 'Gunk' of course, but is that safe in a cooling system with rubber hoses and a radiator? I have also heard of people using Sugar soap for this task but not sure if that is recommended either.
I know that there are a few Radiator flush bottles out there, but I really need something that is going to do a thorough job. I can't see a tiny 100ml bottle of flush cleaning thick black oil out of a 5.5 litre coolant system.

I intend to replace a few of the coolant pipes anyway (dirt cheap) so that is them sorted out. I will probably remove the Radiator as well and give it some individual treatment.

Anyone any advice for me, please?
Thanks for any help or DIY points for me in my task
Chris

Sponsored Links
Back