Chunk taken out of exterior wall - how to repair it?

Sponsored Links
The missing chunk has exposed rendering that appears to have lost its backing.
Whatever hit the corner has sent cracks shooting out.

The Tyrolean render application was applied amateurishly, and has not taken.

The paint is the wrong kind of paint.

To merely fill the missing chunk you could get a small bag of sand & cement from a plumbing or builders supplies.
Mix with a little water and dub out by applying in two coats.
Wait for the first coat to dry.

As a temporary measure you could fill the cracks with silicone or similar - research all the above on here.

Sponsored Links
dann09,

Thanks for the reply. We have found lots of evidence of "creative" DIY from the previous owner of the house, so it doesn't surprise me that the render & paint are not up to scratch. I will give the sand/cement a go, and plan on repainting ASAP.

Thanks,
M

Try 'Chunkfilla' from B&Q.

Either this is a joke that has gone way over my head, or this is a product that I can't find any mention of. Please put a novice DIYer out of his misery and tell me which one it is :)

Sorry, mate. I was just messing about :oops:
As Dann. says, cheapest is a small bag of ready-mixed sand/cement.

Get some PVA glue (the white stuff) and mix it with some water 1:10, and brush on the repair area before applying the mix.
Also, use this solution as the mixing water for the sand/cement. It will last far longer, with less chance of coming away.

Try 'Chunkfilla' from B&Q.

Either this is a joke that has gone way over my head, or this is a product that I can't find any mention of. Please put a novice DIYer out of his misery and tell me which one it is :)

Sorry, mate. I was just messing about :oops:
As Dann. says, cheapest is a small bag of ready-mixed sand/cement.

Get some PVA glue (the white stuff) and mix it with some water 1:10, and brush on the repair area before applying the mix.
Also, use this solution as the mixing water for the sand/cement. It will last far longer, with less chance of coming away.

Thanks for putting me out of my misery! :D Sand/cement and PVA glue on the shopping list, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back