Circuit breakers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved house and in the garage is a consumer panel but most of the fuses have been taken out and replaced with some sort of breakers. Please see picture.
They have just 2 pins on them which plug into the panel.
Are these RCD type devices or just resettable current overload type circuit breakers?
I am also not sure what the device on the right is doing either.
Thanks for any replies.
panel.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its just resettable MCB's, that have been retrofitted to replace the old fuse-wire fuses.

The switch on the right looks like it is an RCD, protecting the whole system - seems to have a 'test' button at the top?

Nice touch that the re-inspection due date was 20 years ago!!!

The white wylex with black dollys are plug in mini circuit breakers (BSEN 60898)
The unit to the right is a general purpose RCD (BS4293, I think) which are now obsolete.

Thanks guys,
Will the mini circuit breakers prevent electrocution in the event someone accidentally cuts a lawnmower cable for instance?

Sponsored Links
RCDs to BS4293 are still fine, I am wondering if it is an RCD as there is an earth connected at the bottom, can you post a close up photo of the unit to the right with the test button on it?

Thanks guys,
Will the mini circuit breakers prevent electrocution in the event someone accidentally cuts a lawnmower cable for instance?
It depends on the rated tripping current and the type of device, for supplementary protection against direct contact (or whatever it is called in the 17th edn regs) it needs to be a 30mA RCD max.

Thanks guys,
No, but the RCD should providing it is protecting the circuit you have the lawn mower plugged in to!

What type of earthing arrangement/system do you have?

Hope these help,
The mains appears to come into the back of the main panel as the meter box is on the outside of the wall.

panel3.jpg

panel2.jpg

[/quote]
What type of earthing arrangement/system do you have?[/quote]

How do I tell?

Yes, that is a normal 30mA RCD (25A contact rating). What is it protecting?

What is it protecting?
The garage CU?

Can't be sure which cables go where - I'd be interested to see a photo without those spare fuses in the way, and with the terminal covers on the RCD removed.

I'd be particularly interested to see what's going on with that G/Y cable....

I swiched off the RCD on the right but it only appeared to be protecting the sockets in the garage and conservatory.

Yes, it is not big enough (contact rating) to be protecting the whole board. So at the moment you have MCBs (provide same function as a fuse) for a majority of circuits and an RCD for just the sockets in the conservatory and garage.
As long as you are using those sockets for your lawn mower then you have some additional protection. I don't think you'll be surprised if you have an inspection and the recommend at least having a new consumer unit installed with RCD protection on all circuits.

I have had a few quotes from £290 - £350 to replace my existing setup with a 17th edition board with RCD protection. Does that sound about right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back