Cistern ball valve leaking but also too tight to undo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. the overflow from my toilet is dripping. The ball itself is at the right level but the valve it attaches to is dripping after the correct level is reached.

I assume I need to replace a washer.

There are a couple of large fittings on the valve but they do not budge with waterpump pliers - is there a knack for undoing old stuff like this? I'm not too strong.

The valve looks brass with calcium/verdigris etc on it. If I can loosen it, where is the washer (if there is one), and is it a standard washer size that I can buy in B&Q?

Sponsored Links
Because there are a few things that cud go wrong with this type of valve, the washer, seating, float arm, buying a new valve would be better.
have everthing clean and new;)

Sponsored Links
I concur. If the threads have seized then you would probably have to take the complete ball valve out of the cistern to get at it and 'give it some welly'

If you have to remove the whole thing then you might as well replace the whole thing. they aren't expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back