Cistern only filling up if cold water tap switched on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My push-button toilet cistern (installed about 5 years ago) has stopped filling up properly. Ie - it fills up very slowly.

I'm not very practical, but had a look inside anyway. I could see a thin stream of water coming out of a plastic unit on the left-hand side.

If I turn on the cold-water tap in the bathroom sink, the cistern fills up normally (and quickly). I generally have to wait a few seconds before I do it. (I discovered this by accident.)

When it fills, the thin stream stops and the water level shoots up.

All very odd.

If anyone knows of a simple solution, I'd be very grateful.

I did try opening up a screw-type fitting at the base of the water pipe that leads down to the floor. (This controls water flow.) This had the same effect as turning on the cold water tap. Ie, the cistern filled up again.

The water comes from the mains - not a tank.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Just warming up my Crystal Ball to try to see inside your WC cistern.....

Nope no good, the walls are too thick.

Any chance of a picture or three?

I did try opening up a screw-type fitting at the base of the water pipe that leads down to the floor. (This controls water flow.) This had the same effect as turning on the cold water tap. Ie, the cistern filled up again.

Jim

That sounds like an iso valve.

That should be on with the slot in line with the pipe!

Sponsored Links
When I mentioned, on another forum, that I was planning to ask for help on this board, someone posted 'Good luck with that'.

Now I see why! :)

Fortunately, the problem's been solved. A practical friend recently visited and fixed it in a few minutes. Seems the double-Holst link had slipped and needed re-tendering.

Everything is now back to normal.

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back