City and Guilds Plumbing Certificate

Agile said:
I am disappointed with the response from you and your friend to the faulty work by the gas fire fitter. That seems to me to be a nasty vindictive response to complain to CORGI rather than giving him the chance to come back to rectify his faults.
Tony, bear in mind that the gas installer not only made a leaky joint (which happens to us all) but, more importantly, he failed to test it afterwards. This is unforgivable with gas and is deserving of the criticism levelled at him. I don't think someone who fails to carry out such basic checks should be invited back.

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
It is surprising that CORGI did nothing, IF he really was registered! Their usual attitude seems to be to persue the registered and ignore all the unregistered workers.
Really :eek: I always thought that Corgis main concern was that the worker involved had paid his dues. I've heard of someone being given 6 months in stir, simply for installing a boiler without being registered. Admitted it was a second offence but I've never, EVER heard of a CORGI registered engineer being prosecuted for shoddy workmanship. Perhaps you know better :confused:

Being a member of Corgi does not mean anything in terms of workmanship, or customer relations, or charges. All it means is that the plumber took a test and passed that one time that was necessary and then paid his dues to Corgi.

It's the same with Fensa (the window orgnisation), they don't guarantee the workmanship of their members. A Fensa member could put in a window and it could fall out the next day but the window will still get it's Fensa certificate.

Fensa doesn't have the legally inforced membership though. Anyone can legally install a window and have it inspected by a BCO. If you call your BCO and ask them to come and inspect a boiler that you've just installed (as you're not certified), you wouldn't get quite such a warm reception.

Sponsored Links
hi lor the nvq2 needs practical work to be assessed to validate it. the tech certificate just says you turned up passed the exams and passed the course work. Working full time and learning you'd need 5 yrs to be competent on your own what ever papers you have! related skills help of course and plumbing isn't hard, it's just never ever ever ..... straight forward! as for gas work you can go in as a new entrant via nvq gaswork but much quicker to spend £3000 and someone will pass you in weeks. you wont know f all though!!!! good luck

Hi Everyone,

I was looking on the internet and there is no mention of anyone fiddling with gas having to be mandatorily (is that a word?) CORGI registered, it just said, must be handled by a competent person? - whats the definition of competent?!? Is this governed by a qualification, if so what as there is no mention anywhere it just raves on about Competent?

I can read, do algebra, use a calculator, solder pipes AND CHECK FOR LEAKS! does that make me competent? :rolleyes:

Lorraine

You have to be competent AND a member of a class of persons, which simply means a member of CORGI.

If you are doing gas work at home then you only have to be competent but that again is interpreted as having the ACS qualifications to become registered.

Chris, I think that you are assuming something and not looking at the facts and keeping an open mind. This was a gas fire! These are often fed with an 8 mm soft copper tube from a restrictor point well to one side. These are usually not protected and it is quite possibe that the householder kicked it or trod on it and caused the leak. We simply do not know. I think its unreasonable to jump to a conclusion that he did not test it and it was leaking when he left it.

It is also the case, as Lorraine will find out if she completes her training and starts working, that there are a few cowboy customers who will sabotage your good work to avoid paying. Loosening a gas connection is a classic example!

Tony Glazier

whats the definition of competent?!?
This question is the subject of many posts on this and other forums. I think the common sense answer is that you must be competent in relation to the gas work you undertake.

Of course the problem is that you have no way of knowing if you are competent - you know what you know, but you don't know what you don't know :rolleyes: . But that applies to all of us, even if Corgi registered.

Exactly. There are the known unknowns, and the unknown unknowns, as well as the unknown knowns and the known knowns. Then there's the things which make you wonder.

I've always wondered about the "unknown knowns" :confused: . Are these things you've forgotten?

Me too! Things staring you in the face which you've overlooked?

Just remembered the annoyingly clever American who said it - Donald Rumsfeldt (sp?).

Well found! SUPERB set of pics.
appl.gif

Lorraine said:
..........I can read, do algebra, use a calculator, solder pipes AND CHECK FOR LEAKS! does that make me competent?

The first bits put you way ahead of lots of tradesmen, the last two are a couple of obvious requirements, however a "Competent Person" is one who is defined as having passed the assessments under a scheme accepted by the government as meeting the requirements. This Competent Person must then be employed by a registered business, even if self employed, and this means no favours for friends in effect as the work will not be recorded in the business records.

So I'm afraid you would not be defined as a "Competent Person", BUT only notifiable work or work defined as a controlled service has to be done by a Competent Person unless you have the work passed by the building control office, you can replace sockets, replace motorised valves, fix oil boilers, repair oil leaks, you can even remove, repair and re-fit an oil tank, as long as you don't replace it with a new one, and so on...........

How much of the various house maintenance jobs have you done, and how confident would you be doing it in someone elses house?

Don't worry about doing jobs for people you don't like, you can choose your customers, just as customers will choose you. Caring, honest and tidy works wonders, (some ustomers don't want this, all they want is CHEAP, I don't work for them) and you should be able to stay solvent without having to work your socks off.

I've never been anywhere near a plumbing course, but I have fixed plenty of problems left by time served plumbers.

If you want more info, my email's in my profile.

oilman said:
Don't worry about doing jobs for people you don't like, you can choose your customers, just as customers will choose you.
quote]

I do have to say that I disagree with that!

If you are employed you will generally have to go the where the business sends you.

If you are self employed then its worse because for economic reasons you will usually have to do all the work you can get to make a reasonable living.

But why should you dislike working for anyone if they are prepared to pay the bill ? The only ones I dislike working for are the ones who dont offer any coffee!

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back