Cladding - choice and costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate costs of everything have gone up in the last couple of years, but has cladding skyrocketed?

I have a workshop to clad in my garden, and currently the cheapest of the cheap softwood timber shiplap is coming up at about £30-£40 per square metre... I'm sure when I looked last autumn (so well into the Russia-Ukraine war and cost of living issues) the cheapest was about £20 per square metre. Fibre cement looks to be around £25 (but I haven't checked if that has a special fixing system to add on top), UPVC somewhere in-between.

Anyone got any tips on a cost-effective cladding material for about 40 square metres of garden workshop? Has to be prettier than tarpaulin or OSB

Sponsored Links
If you go untreated softwood, it will come in around half the price m3 or less. You can then spray treat it and paint it and still come in less.

I'm not saying it will be any cheaper, but different styles would be "board on board" where you use vertical rough sawn timber planks, with cover strips. As opposed to shiplap which has to be machined. Much heavier duty aswell.

Also corrugated iron or box profile sheeting
Last time I bought galvanised corrugated it was £2.50 ex vat per linear foot at 2ft cover. So would work out about £16 inc vat per square metre?

ex 5"[111mm coverage ] comes in cheaper for the same coverage than ex 6" as the extra 20% costs about 40% more
and dont forget the coverage is about 9mm less than size as the tongue disappears from the size when slotted in

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Featheredge is a much cheaper option than shiplap, and can be purchased in longer lengths than just the normal 1800mm used for fencing.
I did my shed in featheredge which came in 3.6m lengths from Champion Timber, about fifteen years ago and still holding up well.

When I built my new shed I used weather plank cement board on the 2 sides that could be seen and used box profile metal sheets on the 2 sides against the fence which can't really be seen.

Looks like i can't amend my other post for some reason
i should have put "with shiplap cladding "-----------------"ex 5"[111mm coverage ] comes in cheaper for the same coverage than ex 6" as the extra 20% costs about 40% more"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back