Cladding problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Think I might have made an error. I'm building my own shed, and I put the frame up, then fixed 12mm sterling board onto it, then fixed shiplap straight to that. Is that a catastrophic mistake? If the shiplap is nailed to the osb, is that really bad?
Help please.should I take it all off?

Sponsored Links
dont panic yet

is it txg shiplap ??
what coverage is it [the area from the the bottom off one plank to the same point on the one below or above ]hopefully around 109mm??

Sponsored Links
Really sorry don't know what txg is?
And the planks are 6".. Is that any help?

You need to take it off really. Nailing I tight to the osb will trap dampness in.there. You need to batten it. To be honest for a shed you don't really need the osb anyway you could nail cladding straight to the studs if you use a waterproof profile like weatherboard/shiplap.

If you really want to use feather edge then as Freddy said, studs-osb-breather membrane-battens-cladding.

ahh feather edge sorry cant give you my wisdom i am afraid
i built my shed from 5" txg shiplap and made a choice to go for the unwise rely on the waterproof integrity off the cladding
i started from the point off fixing the cladding to the outside and 2 coats off ducksback for 2 years with no water ingress
i then decided it was safe gave a further 2 coats off ducksback and [loft ] insulation without an airgap or membrane with 12mm unsealed ply on the inside
8 years down the road after a further 2 occasions off 2 coats off ducksback replace/refixed/moved several planks that where cupped and disconnected in one area due to a bad blockage off the gutter everything was perfect no damp no decay on a now 11 year old structure
i gave the new pressure treated planks 2 coats off ducksback a few days before coating the whole shed with a further 2 coats
pictures before insulation or internal cladding
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/bigall2005/media/e1e47346.pbw.html?sort=3&o=15

any way the point i was making was you may get away without air gap and breathable membrane iff fully waterproof

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back