Cladding Treatment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to clad an extension with Douglas Fir and would like to keep the colour [for as long as possible] I've contcated the likes of Ronseal but have not got answers. Effectively need a colourless uv treatment that will take over Vac-Vac preservation treatment. Timber will be stored until yellow of Vac-Vac fades. I then intend to treat the timber before its fixed to the building. Suggestions of potential solutions please!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome isleys :D :D :D
if you are trying to keep the natural colour as it is forget it
untreated the timber will turn to antique pine within 2 years and iff exposed to the weather it will go very grey
perhaps thats why ronseal couldnt help!! :cry:

I like to use those water-based Shed and Fence treatments that leave a water-repellent waxy coating. They are very easy to re-apply with no rubbing down, just wash off with a stiff brush

External softwood joinery needs frequent care if you hope to make it last

See if you can find a treatment you like the colour of. I happen to like dark brown which would not suit you but is very easy to match and recoat. The clear ones do not protect much against UV fading

Pay great attention to end grain and protect the lowest part of the cladding from water pooling or rain splash. Cladding always rots fastest at the bottom.

I have also used linseed oil which seems to work well but the colour will get patchy over time if you do not use a stain to equalise the bare timber first.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back