Class room emergency disconection

I'll just add - emergency lighting. Lots of it.

And possibly some means of alerting other staff nearby - it might be the teacher who is injured.

Sponsored Links
And finally earth bonds to all the dust extraction tubing, screwed into metal ducting and screwited onto the cut end of the wire spiral in the flexi ducts, grounded to a point before the RCD, a huge ammount of static builds up and can cause an explosion that is hilarious to watch in that it backfires the contents of the extractor bin into the room :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not sure if we are picturing different types of mahine tools, but I'd have thought it seems to be wasteful to use RCBOs, expecialy if the circuit is TP. Make more sense for the machine (talking pillar drills, bandsaws which are bolted to the floor here) to be hardwired into the local isolator, and fed from a MCB back at the board. Even if you don't hardwire it, a TPN BS4343 outlet is unlikely to be used for anything else!

Here is a sketch that i've just done of a typical installation as we do them

Sponsored Links
I'll just add - emergency lighting. Lots of it.

And possibly some means of alerting other staff nearby - it might be the teacher who is injured.

Lighting for machines should be incandescent of high frequency flourescent. Normal flourescents can ( and often do ) create a stroboscopice effect on rotating machine thay make the rotating item look stationary or slowly moving when in fact it is rotating at speed.

Same for emergency lighting if it is the only light in the emergency where machine may still be rotating.

Same for emergency lighting if it is the only light in the emergency where machine may still be rotating.

Although the emergency light will be a high frequency invertor driven 'ac' supply so will almost not fall into syncronicity with the machine

We also fit MEMlite or similar 12V halogen worklights to lathes and drills, this also helps prevent the strobe effect.

There is a switchstart twin fluorecent made for workshops where the tubes are set out of phase to each other.

My picture came out cra99y on the webcam, in case anyone was wondering the incomer feeds into the bottom cabinet that contains a contactor and torroidal coil, the coil works with the contactor to make a 300mA RCD / 80A overload protector, this then feeds the DB in this case a Mitsubishi QuickTrip with MCBs feeding machines down one side and RCBos at 30mA on the other

The 300mA protection is to comply with DATAs spec for the install and that cabinet is custom built by MEM for the job, I generally have MEM or Hager stuff the whole lot in one custom built box to fit the available wall space, MEM turn the job around quicker although Hager's designer has suggested some fascinating MCB servo devices that switch the MCB off and on so doing away with the contactor, Both firms will send an engineer to your office to work on a design with you.

BTW the Mitsubishi board was customers spec, it takes 21 weeks from order to delivery as it has to be specially shipped from Japan, its an Ottermill design, Mitsubishi brought all the designs for the BTQL range when Ottermill-Chilton-Simplex called it a day, very good stuff when it arrives!!

Before i go any further, i need to get a copy of BS 4163, see it was updated this year.

Thanks for all the replys, am sure i will be back to this later unless the machinery break situation scuppers the plans

Before i go any further, i need to get a copy of BS 4163, see it was updated this year.

Thanks for all the replys, am sure i will be back to this later unless the machinery break situation scuppers the plans

The machinery breaks are very easy to fit, they work by reversing the field in the motor to bring it to a standstill, all electric, no mechanism involved. If they have the machines allready then hit stop and time the rundown, if it stops inside 10secs you are Ok without a break

We use a make called DRIV-LOCK, can't find a site on them but get then via CEF, its a box about as big as a contactor enclosure.

Better if they can buy breaked machines with all the requisite stops etc, Axminster Power Tools Educational do a good range a very good prices, table saw c£1000, very large bandsaw c£1500, good pillar drills c£800 all fully specced for BS4163 ready to instal.

P&J or Nederman are the people to talk to about LEV (dust extraction), unless you have flow meters dont try to do that youself :D

We generally run round the workshop in galv trunking and drop down in 20mm galv conduit to MEM isolators (I prefer the excel range because they last and last).

If we wire fixed I generally use spiralised steel flexible conduit and SY if its a plug and socket affair, MICC to run to brazing hearths for obvious reasons.

Prefer to have 13A sockets over benches hanging, Brennenstuhl make a 6way pendant socket outlet (available from Axminster) or a laboratory style ped box if the socket must be on a bench.

If you are doing kick stops, and you will, use Klockner-Moeller, they stand up to abuse, avoid the Craptree ones like the plague, I fitted a dozen and 10 had been smashed in a week, if they want de-luxe MEM do an ironclad kick stop but at £50 a peice pricey.

You can get door latching switches and task lights from Axminster.

Hope this is all of use, you will find BS4163 an interesting read, it also specs the clearance between machines and tables and other machines, which has scuppered plans in the past, the average charge from the big two in school workshops would be about £10K to fully wire a workshop inc parts, if you go down MEM route you can happily blow £4K on bits.

If you enjoy it get into the annual risk assesment game, £30/machine is what I charge and thats cheap, workshop of say 20 machines, half a days work - kerching (the big 2 charge about £60 a pop!!).

As already said the sockets not too much of a problem but machines are another story. Not considering being a school which may have less protection as only teacher is covered by employment laws. But any machine able to do irreversible damage needs a two line E-stop and normal way is to use the E-stop relays always yellow or red as being passed for use with E-stops and this then will control at least two circuits and contactors or relays.
The problem with many machines is the use of semiconductor relays and contactors which are not permitted as isolation devices with E-stops. Where the machine has mechanical relays and contactors one can break into the control on the machine for one of the pair of isolation devices then just one big contractor for main supply.
However some machines can be dangerous if the power is removed and to without doing a full risk assessment one installs an E-stop system one is asking for problems.
Where I worked the E-stop also had to remove some of the air supply and not just switch it off but dump air as well.
Again not all air as some held weight up and the last thing wanted is to crush some one as E-stop is hit.
Keys were also a problem as they were all interchangeable and some E-stops one wanted to be able to switch on again soon after hitting it. So keyed resets should also be considered.
But all down to risk assessment one does not fit E-stops without careful considerations.
Even on 110v supply I hope 55-0-55 one has to consider what is being used. Mag mount drills can do nasty things when power is removed.
Since in schools equipment tends to be locked up. I would say the school needs to do risk assessment as they may have equipment you are unaware of.

I do it like this

Main switch (MEM excel lever type)
--
--
Contactor
--
DB (RCBos)
--
Local isolators per machine
--
commando socket plug
--
Machine

Why RCBO's on the machines? The machines are likely TP too - so RCBO's would not be an option anyway.

We only fit RCBos on the single phase ring unless there is a request for other single phase circuits to have RCBo protection, the three phase outputs are simple MCB unless a specific request is made for RCD protection of the machine circuits over and above the 300mA RCD that is a built in part of the contactor cabinets we use.

The pics are of the bandsaw and tablesaw we generally specify, both are pre specced for education.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back