cleaning central heating system out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I gather most faults in the central heating system can be caused by not cleaning the system out . if so what can i clean mine out with and how .Ihave an apollo 30/50 fanfare any info would be grateful ,incidently i cured the loud banging on my c/h ichanged the pump for a grundos

Sponsored Links
Use Sentinel cleaners visit www.gebetz.com/sentinel - I've just done mine; I asked on this site whether I could leave the cleaner solution in longer than the 2 hours recoomended. I had replies saying it wouldn't matter - however when I visited the site above it said you MUST not. Best of luck

:cry: JAMES2, are you a salesman for Sentinel? This is an identical reply you gave to another post this evening :D

There are several other manufacturers most of which are satisfactory. Cleaning out the system will not cure all problems though.

Sponsored Links
oilman said:
:cry: JAMES2, are you a salesman for Sentinel? This is an identical reply you gave to another post this evening :D

No sorry - I didn't want to promote any products, but I found the website really useful when I had a similar question. Your right, I'm sure there are equally good, if not better alternative products. I reply with the same message as it equally applied to another question

It says on the back of the cleaner that you can leave it in for up to 4 weeks. :eek:

Not for the Cleaner - I'm sure it says not to leave it any longer. Anyway - whatever - good technical info on their site

Found it on the web site under frequently asked questions....

How long do I need to leave Sentinel X300 in the system?
Sentinel X300 should be circulated for 2-3hrs at operating temperature, or up to 24 hours if circulated cold….but no longer, and the system should be flushed with clean water immediately after use.

where a new boiler or pump is to be fited to an existing system, or where radiators have cold areas or are partly blocked due to sludge build up.

Sentinel X400 is a non-acid formulation which can be used in all types of direct heating systems including those containing aluminium components.

Dosage:
Sentinel X400 should be dosed at 1% of system volume, i.e., 1 litre per 100 litrs of system water. To clean an existing system in accordance with BS7593: 1992, Sentinel X400 should be circulated, preferably at normal operating temperature, with all valves open and the pump turned to a maximum flow for a minimum period of 2 hours or until satisfactory performance is restored. Where systems are badly fouled, a longer period of circulation (e.g., up to 4 weeks) is recommended, but the product will not clear a completely blocked pipe.

There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system.

Rapid cleaning may be carried out if Sentinel X400 is used in conjunction with a power flushing device.

Flush the system before refilling and treating with Sentinel
.................................... :rolleyes:x300 is for cleaning a new ststem

OK - how do I estimate the volume of water in my system?

Or is the concentration of cleaner/inhibitor not that crucial?

Ta - I guess it's an average system - 3 bed semi, 6 rads of various sizes and a towel rail. A lot of the pipes run hither & yon because the ground floor has solid floors, but that'd only be a few more litres.

Had some new rads fitted recently (the
cr-a.jpg
looks fab), and

(a) the stuff that came out was extremely murky, even though the system was flushed and inhibited a few years ago

(b) it's now running without inhibitor, which I want to fix asap, so I'll give it another flush first, for a few days.

Hi

Refering to how long to leave Sentinel x300 system flush in a ch system. The instructions on the tub say you can leave it for up to four weeks. Hope this is ok as i'm intending to leave it for about a fortnight.
Can anyone advise me wether this could do my system any harm?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back