Cleaning /Flushing CH System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im going to drain my CH system in the next week or so to fix a tiny leak in a pipe and was wondering if there is any product out there I could add prior to draining to help clean/flush it.

Ive lived in the property for 10yrs and its never been cleaned/flushed or had anything added at all.

So what if anything there is I can add and also what is best to add after when I fill it back up.

Its not a pressurised system - its the older type with a hot water tank.

Thanks

If it helps it only has to last another 18mths or so as Im replacing the entire system

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much. I’ve bought both products and I’m fairly comfortable draining flushing etc but how do I get the X800 into the system to circulate.

I have a FE system if that helps. I assume it’s not just a case of pouring it in to the FE and let it circulate? I don’t have a power flush device or access to one and if I can’t pour it in the FE Im thinking of draining a rad a little and injecting it via the bleed screw at the top.

Thanks

Partially drain system, once the f&e tank is empty, run hose for a few more minutes then turn off drain cock, add cleaner and top up system. Bleed rads, fire up

Sponsored Links
Be aware that the bottom inch or so of your FE tank may be gunge so if possible before you do any draining, get a wet and dry vacuum cleaner into the tank and suck out its contents, then put in some more water to stir up any remaining gunge and suck it out again. There's little point in drawing all that crud into a system that you're trying to clean out.

if you haven't got a wet vac, bale it out into a bucket and sponge it clean.

Thanks folks.

Was going to try to do this today, but Tesco's won!

Ive found two drain cocks (I think) one in a pipe under the rad in dining room next to patio door and the other in a pipe under the rad in hall next to front door. So both can feed outside.

Do they work? Not sure haven’t ever tried them.

What I do know is that a lot of the bleed screws are jammed tight and it looks like if I put any more pressure on them they will crumble or snap.

This is not my photo but the screw is identical

p1020667.jpg

look carefully at your radiator bleed screws. Are they set in a square socket? If so you can use a radiator wrench to unscrew the whole plug including the bleed screw which goes into it. Check the radiator is firmly fixed to a solid wall, not plasterboard, or you will need someone to press on the rad to counter the effort you apply unscrewing the plugs. New plugs are inexpensive. You put PTFE tape on the threads to prevent leaks.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/radiator-spanner/11467?_requestid=244713

http://www.screwfix.com/p/radiator-vent-blanking-plug-chrome-bsp/40972?_requestid=244853 the newer type fit the same hole but are fitted using an ordinary spanner

Screwfix had some special offers on Sentinel fluids last time I was in.
http://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/central-heating-treatments/cat831046

Hi

Quick question. Can I leave the X800 in for 24hrs? Will it do any harm?

Ive added it but dont know if I want to start flushing/filling/flushing etc at 10pm tonight. Was going to leave it unti I get in from work tomorrow night.

Thnks

should be Ok for 24 hrs but dont leave it any longer it is pretty serious stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back