Clicking noise when I walk on Ceramic floor tiles in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just fitted ceramic floor tiles in the kitchen and they are now driving me mad. When I walk on them there is a clicking noise that sort of spreads around where I step.
I used concrete floor adhesive, I forget what the sub floor is but it is black and is seen in most new houses downstairs.
Unfortunatly the tiles were walked on after only 5 hours even though I told them it would need at least 24 hours drying time. I have a feeling the lot has to come up? Any help and tips would be appriciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm getting a little fed up of asking for more details to these types of posts but here goes again:
1. What adhesive did you you use?
2. What size of notched trowel did you use?
3. Was the floor (I'm assuming asphalt here) dusty or greasy?
4. What consistency did you mix the adhesive to? Thick or runny?
5. What tiles did you use - ceramic or porcelain?

1. The adhesive was Unibond tiling on concrete and screed floors high strengh adhesive.

2.The notches are 6mm across and 6mm deep.

3. The floor was dirty and dusty so it was mopped, brushed then vacumed. What is the best way to clean a floor?

4. Already mixed.

5. Porcelain.

Thanks for your reply.

1. Oooops. Pre-mixed is garbage. So is Unibond stuff in my opinion.

2. 6mm x 6mm is for wall tiles. You should have used a 10mm "U" notch trowel really. See just before half way down on this page http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/tiling_trowels.html

3. Brush, vacuum then mop.

4. See 1.

5. Oooops. Porcelain isn't as absorbent as regular ceramic so you need different adhesive (unless it says it can be used with porcelain on the packaging). Unibond do a Porcelain & Marble Fast Set Adhesive http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/unibond/tileonwallsfloors.html I don't think that the stuff you used will be any good for porcelain.

You're a bit stuffed really. If you can get the tiles up without breaking them then I'd do so and relay them properly (depends whether it's got a grip of them or not - I suspect not). Another option that'll probably quiten the tiles would be to scrape out the grout and re-grout using a decent powdered flexible grout - that might lock them up.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your answer. I think it would be easier to take the lot up hope they dont break then start all over again. Whats the best way to get the tiles up?

If they're porcelain they'll be tough so you might be able to get them up ok. I'd try and use a couple of paint scrapers or filling knives, slide one under each side and try and prise them up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back