Clicking stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a head scratcher - Clicking soil stack.

New bathroom, corner stack and the capping of one waste pipe and re-purposing another - all of a sudden the soil stack now starts to click when hot water flows into it. I am aware it's expansion with the HW hitting the stack but no matter what I do, splitting the stack and grease the seals - galvy band the stack to secure it (it's internal to the upper bathroom/kitchen) nothing stops it

In many many years, only had this once before with another clients house and given it's was boxed in the client just decided to live with it. Outwith removing it all and replacing with solvent weld (if this would actually work), any of the most excellent bods on here got any other ideas?

Typically it had to happen in my own place :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
If it's touching wood anywhere- soak with silicone spray. And check for death watch beetle;)

Sponsored Links
Slide some hair felt lagging over the galv band.
The banding has some foam around it too (opened up pipe insulation) but it was clicking before I added the banding and I added it to see if the extra support would stop the clicking, unfortunately it hasn't helped.

Above my kitchen ceiling i thought i heard a dripping sound.
I stayed in the house for 20 years, just before selling it i thought i needed to investigate it, turned out the bath waste went into a soil pipe in the ceiling space, it was the hot water from the bath/basin expanding the soil pipe against some bracing in the roof space.

Put some neoprene rubber between them and patched up the ceiling.

Last edited:
Soil pipe suspended from clip with a cm or so above full insertion from socket end below or resting on lower socketed end?

Stack from upstairs bathroom in my Parents house always clicked, didnt even need hot water, flushing the WC used to set it off. Drops down right in the corner of the Hallway too, next to the front door. Never did work out why it did it, think it's stopped now they've changed the WC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back