Clicking/Ticking - Water Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all, I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to home repairs, so please bare with me...I am probably going to call a plumber to fix the problem I am experiencing, but I thought I'd give the Internet a try at attempting to solve my problem....

DESCRIPTION - HOME AND PLUMBING SYSTEM
===================================
One large room cabin, with a little annex room that has a water heater, water pump, and variety of pipes going to and from the wash bin, shower, and toilet, all in the same area.

I have a septic tank for sewage and a well for water source.

PROBLEM
===================================
Recently, I've been hearing "clicking and ticking" sounds coming from what I think is the water pump and/or water heater. The pipe set-up is quite compact and insulated with styrophone pipes and duck tape, pretty shabby if you ask me...but haven't had any problems with it until now.

Basically, the water works in either the "sink" (wash basin) or "shower" for a couple minutes, then goes dry. The toilet tank now won't fill up totally and I hear a gurgling sound when I try to flush the toilet (signfying a completely empty tank).

In addition, I look at the water gauge and it goes down to 0, then the clicking goes on its own, I see an electric discharge coming from one of the electrical wires/unit near the pipes. After series of clickings, the gauge goes up to 60, I turn the water on, works for a minute or so, then goes dry, and the gauge falls back to 0.

I am dreadfully fearing a huge repair bill....just wondering if there is anything I can do on my own...baring that I am idiot when it comes to home repairs.

I have read quite a few threads in the "Plumbing" forum and the only thing I found similar was cleaning the "Ball Valve" in the toilet, but I don't know if that is the fix considering the problems I'm experiencing.

Thanks in advance for any advice or "duh" wet noodles you want to whip me with....please remember I am an idiot when it comes to home repairs.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
1. Turn off supply to whatever the discharging wire is connected to.
2. If you can't find that, think of a knowledgable friend/neighbour to talk to and get it done TODAY. Failing to do this could result in a fire (sorry to be alarmist though if you are in the States 110V may not be such a prolem). It WILL be expensive to get professional help on a Sunday.
3. It sounds as though you may be in a remote place if you have a septic tank and a well. The lack of water supply could be a failed electric supply to the pump (discharging wire), blocked intake filter to pump or low water level in well.

It could be none of these as well, but these are a few ckecks to make first.

I would agree with oilman i would say the "electrical discharge" is a loose wire to the pump for the well, it may just need tightenin (but switch off the supply first)

a well pump and septic tank are quite common in the states

Thanks for the thoughtful and knowledgeable replies.

I am going to ask a neighbor of mine for assistance today. If I am unable to get assistance, should I just not use the water today? I know that weekend repairs are more expensive than during the week, although I have a neighbor down the road who owns a plumbing business. He may be willing to come out for less money than calling in someone from the city, which the closest one is located 30 miles away.

Yes, I do live in the "boonies", well, they term it the "suburban mountains".

Thanks again for your replies...they were helpful.

Sponsored Links
Hello again....

Thanks again for the advice....

I called a pump company today and they fixed the valve on the water pressure tank and also filled up the pressure tank with air (the bladder in the tank did not have enough air to pump the water correctly).

They recommended replacing the water pressure tank before next year when the warranty (five year) runs out. That may be over my head to replace, but they told me if I do it myself, I'd save myself around $120.00 for trip and labor expenses. So, that may be incentive enough for me to fix it myself.

Thanks again for your advice and feedback...this is a great forum and website for home repairs, which I'm sure I'll visit again in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back