tapping/clicking pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the hot water comes on in the morning, I can hear a regular clicking/tapping noise coming from 'somewhere' in the house. Is this the boiler to h/w tank pipe causing this?

Hasn't been a problem since we moved in, but last couple of days it has been doing it, and nothing has been touched to provoke it..?

Sponsored Links
pipes are tight in the chases thru boards somewhere........good luck finding the spot.......not another New built house :?:

1954 but the plumbing was re-fitted by previous owner.

Do you mean fitted tightly next to eachother in the joists? If I can find the part of the pipe causing the noise, what should I use to fit between them to create a small gap? I wont be able to fit pipe clips as the piping is already laid and therefore has minimal movement. Could I use some foam or similar?

What would a 'pro' use if he found the problem area?

Thanks again

As the pipes heat up they expand so need to be clipped in place.
Foam insulation will help but make sure the pipes are clipped to your joists and not touching anything which would cause friction sound.
Pete

Sponsored Links
clip pipes running with the joists ;) ...ones that cross them in notches ..use a piece of "tubular felt " from plumb. shop

Easier said than done nige - the problem pipes run across the joists on the first floor (where the noise is coming from) so there isn't any point where they can be clipped alongside - i.e. all the joists have had notches cut into them so the pipes can run through.

Er, that was for fluf`s benifit :oops: The noise is 99% from the notches........when I used to install :rolleyes: i placed a Tubular Felt :idea: pad on every joist ..and I screwed the boards rather than nailed..........but I won`t bore you :LOL: I did do one job wrong once :oops: I put too long a cold feed to heating in and a bit too level .....so I went and re jigged it FOC ;)I suppose I could be considered a Pro.....but I`ll never be a Corgi:cool:

Thanks Nige. Could I use this tubular felt pad to seperate the supply and return pipes as they have been run side-by-side and are very close together, so I dont' know whether the noise is coming from movement from the joist or the other pipe it is contact with?

I think i'll put pads on both sides to be sure. And now you mention it, I did have some floorboards up the other day which I need to replace as they move around even when nailed down; the previous owner/muppet hacked the joists to death so there's hardly anywhere to nail to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back