Clock running backwards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening, newbie here.

Last week we had a power cut for a couple of hours and I thought nothing of it. Then during the week I realised that the heating clock was out and went to reset it having forgotten to do so after the cut. A couple of days later, things still not right and checking it last night and several times today the timer clock has started running backwards. :confused:

It's an older electro-mechanical jobby (Randall 30 20p for those to whom these things make sense) and I'm guessing that the ac/DC converter in it has somehow got out of phase? I've tried switching the power off for a few minutes.

Any suggestions or am I joining the hordes at B&Q over the Easter weekend to but a new timer unit?

Sponsored Links
AC/DC converter? You most likely when setting the dial for the clock did it the wrong way and now knacked it. To be honest i have seen many but as yet never changed one, doesn't look so straightforward though.

HG - I've tried turning the switch off next to the clock a couple of times but I'll have a go on the main switch in the moring when I don't need the lights on!

G2A - I turned it in the direction shown on the dial. Always wary of that sort of thing.

Sponsored Links
Turning mains off won't make a difference. I think he meant at the spur which you have done. Try Danfoss and ask them if it is a known issue? Let us know how you get on.

AC/DC converter ? You must be joking!

This has a standard multipole syncronous motor.

Its technically a random direction to run depending on the phase at the time its powered. In reality they often tend to usually start in the same direction.

To make them run in the wanted direction they have a little cam which comes out and hits a peg and the shock usually makes them reverse. That often jams or breaks after many years.

If you try many random starts, eventually you will probably get one in the right direction.

Tony

You can get new guts for these programmers, or for about another tenner you can get a full new one. Worth the expense if decorating is an issue.

So its not the transfubulation motor that has gone in the stoshametric centrifuge generator then .

In that case as slug has said change like for like .pull knob off(now that doesnt sound right :eek: ) little screw underneath (fek neither does that :LOL: ).
wiggle the case off and there are 2 screws at the top undo and the unit just pulls up off the base , take 2 mins and no need to alter wiring etc , slightly expensive though at around 60 quid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back