Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we are having a extension ,and the floor is a insulated foam on top of the damp membrane ,this had the first layer of concrete put on ,that night it got drenched due to rain and it cracked .water was poolin under the insulation and a section was taken put .we mopped the water but water was still trick ling out from under the rest of the floor. The builder said it would ve ok abd dry out ...but he then re concreted the section he took out .the floor continues to get spake d where we have to scoop it put when it rains ...is this OK what he's saying ..I'm worried the water is still under the floor and has no where to go .also the brick work is soaked as it's a open to the elements until the doors and roof goes on ...any help is appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
Rain is more of a nuisance to builders unless it is exceptionally heavy. Your builder should try his best to protect the brickwork from the rain as to prevent efflorescent bloom later on. Standing water will not affect any concrete below. It may even help strengthen the slab.

Hi thanks so even if their was water between the damp proof membrane and the insulation .it will still dry out ,he 9nly took a small amount of floor up and the insulation was soaked and it crumbled ,and water was still coming from the rest of the floor into the section he took out ,he then put the concrete back down on that bit

It will dry out eventually providing the concrete is not covered with an impervious layer such as tiles, lino,or laminate flooring. All the time the insulation is wet its not an insulator and as its almost vapour proof the water under it will take years to dry out.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Frank ,it's the first basic layer or rough concrete .it has to have the final screed put on top .we want to put lamminate on top .do you tho l it's best to take it up and make sure it's dry .it will be part of our living room so has to have floor g on top thanks

You have water soaked insulation sitting on a plastic film, how do you think the moisture will get out? get the place weather sealed and inspect it every month, when its dry put your screed down and floor.
Frank

This is a job a builder is doing .the floor was rained on heavily after laying .the concrete cracked next day so qtr of the floor was taken up .the insulation was wet so a section was taken out, I said I was concerned water was still under the rest but was told it will dry in to the concrete .I cannot inspect it as they put new concrete over the bit they took off ?

Why was the DPM and insulation laid before the structure was wind & water tight. There would be no benefit to the sequence of works. The insulation and DPM should be removed and only installed when the structure is enclosed.

Why was the DPM and insulation laid before the structure was wind & water tight. There would be no benefit to the sequence of works. The insulation and DPM should be removed and only installed when the structure is enclosed.
Eh?
Since when do you do the over-site detail AFTER the walls have gone up? How would you propose lapping the DPM onto the DPC for instance? It's standard practice to cast the slab at DPC stage.

noseal, you have miss interpreted my post
Eh?
Since when do you do the over-site detail AFTER the walls have gone up? How would you propose lapping the DPM onto the DPC for instance? It's standard practice to cast the slab at DPC stage.
Why was the DPM and insulation laid before the structure was wind & water tight.
My description was the Damp Proof Membrane and insulation that sits on top of the oversite. The DPC from the internal leaf is left exposed on the inside to enable the DPM to be lapped and sealed when the structure is watertight. Where did I mention casting the slab after the super-structure was complete.

I'm just looking for the right advice .....the contractor also said I have to pit floor down ASAP after the screed is done but I've read it has to dry out ...so you can see why I'm worried about what has been done so far.

My description was the Damp Proof Membrane and insulation that sits on top of the oversite. The DPC from the internal leaf is left exposed on the inside to enable the DPM to be lapped and sealed when the structure is watertight. Where did I mention casting the slab after the super-structure was complete.
I still don't see how you can have a watertight structure without building up the inner leaf. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back