Closest exo planet

Possibly could even be overtaken by newer technology.
Space tech tends to favour proven reliable technology, over cutting edge stuff, where it can. So, practically (given the current modus operandi of those who do this sort of thing), i think that's unlikely to be the case.
No, I meant -
If the journey takes forty years to get there, then, if, twenty years after they left we had developed systems which could go ten times as fast it could physically overtake the first vessel.

If for repopulation because of a dying earth, then completely pointless.
That makes no sense; repopulation of some other planet because our Earth is dying, makes sense.
Why have you emboldened 'our'?
Only to preserve the species. Why is that important - or necessary?

It does not matter if we become extinct.
To who? You? The Earth?
To everything. If we became extinct, who would know?

Why do you think the human race should be preserved?

Sponsored Links
Or water the geraniums? LoL
We are not that important though. Just tiny specs who have to fight for survival on a planet of limited resources.

We are not that important though. Just tiny specs who have to fight for survival on a planet of limited resources.
That calls for this pic again :)

Attachments

• upload_2016-8-28_13-41-43.png
    upload_2016-8-28_13-41-43.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 68
Sponsored Links
No, I meant -
If the journey takes forty years to get there, then, if, twenty years after they left we had developed systems which could go ten times as fast it could physically overtake the first vessel.

Could happen but, if humans never bothered to try anything "because something better might come along", we would never have tried anything at all.

Why have you emboldened 'our'?

For clarity as to which Earth we were discussing. You generally like clarity.
It doesn't matter much anyway, and is peripheral to the general discussion.

Only to preserve the species. Why is that important - or necessary?

I didn't contend that it was either one, or the other. Or both.

To everything. If we became extinct, who would know?

Why do you think the human race should be preserved?

I did not contend that possible human extinction mattered, should be avoided, or that anyone or thing cared if it came to pass.
But surely the fact that, every day, humans across the planet:

- eat
- care for themselves
- care for others
- procreate

shows that at least some of them are interested in prolonging their own existence, and bringing progeny into the world. That demonstrates that, regardless of any individual decisions, the human species is determined to go on.

You are obfuscating. I wrote:
If for repopulation because of a dying earth, then completely pointless.

Could happen but, if humans never bothered to try anything "because something better might come along", we would never have tried anything at all.
I didn't say that. I just said it was possible.

I did not contend that possible human extinction mattered, should be avoided, or that anyone or thing cared if it came to pass.
So, no point trying to get to another planet just to save us.

But surely the fact that, every day, humans across the planet:
- eat
- care for themselves
- care for others
- procreate
shows that at least some of them are interested in prolonging their own existence, and bringing progeny into the world. That demonstrates that, regardless of any individual decisions, the human species is determined to go on.
Not the species. That's just individual self-preservation - the same as the animals

I am sure none of had children with the intention to prolong the species. It's all instinct - the same as the animals.
Some people either don't have or overcome this instinct and don't have any.

No one wants to die but we don't matter - the same as the animals.

No it doesn't.

I have stated facts.

That some people would (try to) do the opposite is irrelevant.

Well, whatever intelligent life forms that are out there, they're gonna be similar to us.
Can't do anything useful without hands and fingers.

Sponsored Links
Back