Coal Chutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi peeps, bear with me I'm new to this. :confused:
Recently my next door neighbour passed away after which my wife and I were told we had been left approx 200wt of coal, which now has to be relocated. :rolleyes:
Our house has a cellar, which has a section to one side for the storage of coal with the chute hatch outside the front door.
My question is will I need to do anything to it before I start relocating the coal from next door?

Sponsored Links
Well what do you want to do ?

Put down a carpet so the coal knows it's going to a good home ? :rolleyes:

You can hire temporary conveyor belts if it's a lot of coal.

Otherwise large quantities of beer and a rugby team!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the funnies,peeps, if I'd wanted a Comedy site I'd have gone to the Comedy Store. As I didn't make myself clear previously, Here Goes Again. As the chute hasn't been used, for god knows how long, I want to know if there needs to be anything STRUCTURAL done before the coal IS RELOCATED. Any sensible replies will do nicely. :p

What is your concern? If this is a typical terrace house with a metal lid covering a small space leading into the cellar, (a bit like a well shaft) why don't you just stick your head up it and look?
The brickwork
may need repairing, or it may even have been filled in, but there is nothing that can be determined without inspection.[/i]
Be aware of the dust created when you tip coal down it if you are using the cellar for anything.

What is your concern? If this is a typical terrace house with a metal lid covering a small space leading into the cellar, (a bit like a well shaft) why don't you just stick your head up it and look?
The brickwork
may need repairing, or it may even have been filled in, but there is nothing that can be determined without inspection.[/i]
Be aware of the dust created when you tip coal down it if you are using the cellar for anything.

Thanks TonyW2, my main concern I suppose was if I needed a surveyor or similar in to inspect first. It seems I don't so again thanks.

The main problem will be getting the lid up and back again - the council might have been round and welded them up to stop people tripping on them and suing ;)

The main problem will be getting the lid up and back again - the council might have been round and welded them up to stop people tripping on them and suing ;)

I will bear that in mind when I start inspecting, cheers.

Well

I posted a sarky reply because i don't think that someone who appears to have switched their brain off and then posts a dopey question deserves a serious response.

For Chr.... sake man, you are only talking about 200 lbs of coal. a coal chute has to be the most simple thing in a house: it's just a bloody hole !

And you want advice whether it's safe to chuck the coal down it.

Do you ask forum readers whether it's safe to climb stairs to go to bed because of altitude-difference, potential dangers of added kinetic energy or oxygen deprivation ?

If you mean 2 hundredweight (2 cwt) then it is about 2 sacks worth.
Four sacks if there new-school 25kg sacks....

But i agree its not much, that little infact that while it would be quite fun to open up the old scute, unless its going to become a regular thing, i would carry them down the steps and save yourself the hassle.

Although if you have no use for it, the other option would be to find someone who does and pass it on as it doesnt keep. The going rate isnt a mile from £6 a bag so if you can get £20 for it, sorted.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back