Coal fire back boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

May be a daft question but i'm going to ask anyway lol. We have a open coal fire with a boiler in situ to heat up our hot water and also electric storage heaters and an immersion heater for summer. Just wondering if it would be possible to plumb some radiators in from the back boiler as we find the storage heaters just aren't keeping the house as warm as we would like especially in the childrens bedrooms where there are no forms of heating except for some electric panel heaters (free standing).

If so would it be a big job and costly or would it be as simple as the thought sounds??
Any help would be very much appreciated
:)

Sponsored Links
These were normally fitted for hot water only coal fires

backboilers200.jpg

If yours is similar it isn't big enough to heat radiators as well.

As Denso has said, it's unlikely your back boiler will produce enough heat to power many radiators. You could always have an inset multifuel stove with a back boiler installed, these can be much more powerful

Sponsored Links
Our back boiler just looks like a box in the back of the fire with a draw pull on it with a header tank upstairs in the loft and there is a stop tap at the side of the chimney, it's the first time i've lived in a house with out gas central heating this is why i'm unsure whether its a stupid or not lol suppose it never hurts to ask does it, the system has never been updated since the house was bulit around the 1940's as far as i'm aware.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back