Cold/Damp Spots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

my house consists of stone walls as it was built in approx 1890.

I have had a pam membrane damp proof course done up to 1m all around the living room. Since then the walls have been plastered and painted with no problems. In the heavy rain and severe cold we had in the UK, all the walls were ok and no sign of peaking or damp coming in. However a few months ago I noticed some cold spots in the corner, all above the 1m damp proof. These spots seem to be getting bigger and actually look like wet plasterboard under the paint.However there had been no rain when these appeared. I have had a dehumidifier on 4 days in a row with all doors and windows closed, this helped a lot and shrank the spots. However a day after I turned it off, they came back again and grew fast.

They appear to be where the plasterer used dot and dab or where the plaster is touching the wall (they sound solid when tapping on the area)

I have had the fire on for days and also all windows and doors open to allow air to get in, which didn't help.

Other than taking the plasterboard off and re applying further off the wall is there any other way which I can prevent these spots from happening, such as a vent in the plasterboard to allow it to breathe?

the pictures need rotating 90 degree

Thank You

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back