Cold radiator - help undoing Danfoss TRV PLEASE??

the grey bit pushes down and clamps onto valve body

Correct!

it does this by screwing the white part immediately above the grey part, in the OPs pic you would turn the white part towards the rad to clamp on, and turn away from rad to clamp off

Incorrect!

You obviously haven't fitted one recently enough to remember.

Sponsored Links
there is one sitting on my rad 3 feet from this laptop that im typing a reply into

i just did all the things i have posted

all the descriptions i gave took off the trv head

or are you calling me a liar?

With the early Ras valves they clicked into place without the need to screw them down like the later ones, to undo them you only had to turn the grey part about a 1/4 turn anti clock (I think). And if it is the early type then they have been known to seize up although they free up if you give the side of the valve a clout with a pair of grips.

the grey bit pushes down and clamps onto valve body

That's the early type

it does this by screwing the white part immediately above the grey part, in the OPs pic you would turn the white part towards the rad to clamp on, and turn away from rad to clamp off

Correct! that's the later type!

Sponsored Links
I have one in my hand right now. The bit you call part number 2 is joined to the grey bit which you call part number 1. They are not two separate parts.They move together. The grey bit is the bit you tighten down which is why it has the indentations.

You are both right!! :D
I've just tried unscrewing one of the others in the flat and the grey part (along with the white part just above it!!) DO unscrew. It's just a simple collar type clamp as far as I can see. The bathroom rad I just tried was finger tight and came undone very easily, exposing the small pin underneath.

That said, this bugger in the living room WILL NOT BUDGE. I'm now 100% certain I'm turning the right way but even with grips, it won't undo at all.

Any more ideas?

BTW the actual temperature adjustment still turns correctly, it just won't let the rad get hot :cry:

So, any ideas on how to get the damn thing off?!!

Well it's a plastic on plastic thread as you have probably worked out.

It must undo with a decent set of grips on the grey collar.
As you look at the valve from in front of the radiator and put the grips on it so the handles are pointing towards you, you then turn the grips anti-clockwise. You doing that?

Steady,

Funny thing, tiredness isn't it? Couldn't for the life of me get the bitch undone last night. First go just now and it's off! :oops: :LOL:

The pin is exposed, but I've just checked it against the (working) bathroom one and they both move up and down the same amount :(

I've given both the valve body and the pin a bit of tapping. I don't think it was stuck to be honest, but there is a small improvement in radiator heat - the top of the rad is warm ish, but that's it :(

Does it make any difference which way round the water flow goes through the valve? I only ask because the hot water actually comes in from the other end to the temperature control...

didnt realise there could be such a debate on removing a trv head.anyway OP try turning all the trvs off, on your other rads. and see if that pushes some life into your rad.

Thanks Holty, have given that a try. Only problem is, it's a shared system with the upstairs flat, and I can't turn theirs off unfortunately :mad:

Will see if the living room rad gets any hotter after turning the rest of mine off though.

Well, after turning off all my rads, the living room one did get a bit hotter, but not almost untouchable like it used to. I think that the neighbours upstairs have done something that is sapping the supply of hot water to my rads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back