cold radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wonder if anyone can point me in the right direction?

I have one radiator (bathroom) which is cold whilst all the rest are okay,
i tried the TRV and found it to be operating freely, i tried bleeding the radiator which had a liitle bit of air but seemed to bleed okay( cold water)
Then went into loft to check pipes and found both the supply and return cold, the pipes go down to the radiators and also are t pieced off to what looks like manual bleed valves? opened the bleed valves and again a little air came out, (pipes became hotter at this point) checked radiator and found no change.
went to bleed pipes again and found nothing came out? checked cupboard with hot water tank etc in this area there is what looks like a pulsation damper with a pressure gauge on it the gauge is reading zero?
Can anyone help me with how i go about getting pressure back into the system? i beleive you need a minimum of one bar?
and does anyone know whats wrong with the radiator?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
hi, not enough information, what make is your boiler? Is t a combi and do you mean the tank is the copper cylinder? Can you see any type of filling loop, usually silver bendy pipe near the gauge?
Sounds like low system pressure, and maybe slight air lock preventing rad from filling or water flowing through circuit to rad.

tHE TANK IS AN UNVENTED TANK, THE BOILER IS A COMBI BOILER
YES THERE IS A STEEL WOVEN HOSE ON THE SAME PIPE AS THE PRESSURE GAUGE IS ON WITH A COCK ON IT
HOW DO I TOP THE SYSTEM PRESSURE UP?
WOULD I OPEN THE CLOSED COCK THAT IS ON SAME LINE AS THE PRESSURE GAUGE?

yes! open it till the pressure gets to 1 Bar, then close, some times they may be two cocks, if so open both. Fill to 1 Bar, then bleed and check pressure again, top up if req. Then try running system.

Sponsored Links
THIS MIGHT SOUND LIKE A SILLY QUESTION B UT DOES IN FILL UP AUTOMATICALLY? OR DO YOU HAVE TO DO IT MANUALLY?

SORRY IF I SOUND LIKE AN IDIOT! A BIT CLUELESS WITH THIS TYPE OF SYSTEM

hi there
first things first ,your heating system needs re-charging again, because when you vent a (sealed)system of air or water you are reducing the pressure, so this needs topping up- there should be a fill loop,a silver flexi hose with taps either side,usually situated close to the pressure gauge and exspansion vessel,you might find it capped off,but in most cases these are left connected(if you do find the flexi hose capped off ,make sure valves are in off position undo caps and reconnect hose good hand tight,open valves to charge system-you will see gauge rise ,1bar is good

towel rail -when checking trv -did you remove top and give the centre pin a push up and down a few times(don't go mad with it )because these sometimes get stuck
is it a summer t-rail or on the heating circuit
if on heating circuit- try turning a few radiators off on same pipe run-and try and focus heat to the t-rail
their are more reasons a rad will not work-muck in system
try turning pump up if possible for a short while just to see if this makes a differents

OK THANKS,
ITS ACTUALLY A RADIATOR THAT IS ALWAYS COLD, IM HOPING IT WONT BE GUNDGE IN THE SYSTEM AS ITS FAIRLY NEW
I TRIED THE TRV VALVE AND IT SEEMED TO BE FREE
I WILL TRY AND TOP UP SYSTEM AND TRY BLEEDING IT AGAIN IM ACTUALLY WONDERING IF THEY HAVE PUT THE TRV VALVE AND LOCKSHILD VALVE ON THE WROMG SIDE AS THAT RADIATOR NEVER SEEMED TO BE RIGHT EVER SINCE THE STUPID PLASTERS TOOK IT OFF TO TILE BEHIND!

I WILL TRY BLEEDING AGAIN AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS
HOW WOULD I TURN THE PUMP UP?
MANY THANKS

Hi, Yeah all sorted thank you very much for your sound advice.

Topped up the sytem and then bled it through thouroughly and worked fine.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back