cold radiators after boiler service (oil, camray compact)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a camray compact oil fired boiler, which is mounted on internal kitchen wall.
Pump is grundfoss selectric 15-50.
Water tank is airing cupboard, with smaller tank (reservoir) on top of it - nothing in loft.

Since xmas, all radiators have been working except 1 (the largest, in the lounge) which is hot at the top and cold at the bottom.
This behaviour occurred for approx. 2 weeks, then it started working again by itself.
It then worked for around 3 weeks, then stopped again.

A plumber came out and balanced the radiators, but couple of hrs after he left, the lounge radiator went cold again.
I called him back, but when he visited a few days later it had started to work (and continued to work until today).
Despite testing the water (fine), temperature sensors (also fine - no cold spots), pump (also seems to work) and double-checking that i had bled all the radiators (no air remaining in any of them), he didn't do anything as couldn't track down the problem.

This morning, boiler was serviced.
All meter readings etc. came back fine, and heating was working.

I came home this evening, and although I have hot water (so hot I can't hold my hand under it), every radiator in the house is stone cold.
Boiler is turned on, timer is set to 'on', and adjusting the thermostat to over 25 degrees had no effect - radiators and pipes leading to and from each one are all cold.

Due to previous radiator problems (above), could this be coincidence that something in heating system has died, on the same day the boiler was service?

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Carol

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back