cold radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
all rads were working fine - except the one in the downstairs extension (ie. rad added later) - lockshield was completely shut. when i opened the valve i could hear water filling the rad - seemed to be totally empty. since then all but two rads have stopped working completely. i've drained the system 2 or 3 times - cleaning in the process, but not much 'crud' was removed - still no improvement. called 2 different plumbers out at seperate times in the end - neither of whom agreed on the same problem. one said the pump was knacked - so i replaced it - same problem - the other said the layout was probably wrong and wanted me to buy a whole new system. i've bled the pump and all rads frequently - but nothing works. i now have only one rad working - the one closest to the heater (backboiler) - in the bedroom above. i've tried to balance the system, initially turning all rads off (lockshields) and turning one on at a time - none except the one that currently works respond and there seems to be no pressure - when i do this with the one that works i can hear water being pushed into the rad quite clearly - help - help - help!!! the only remainig solution i am aware of is powerflushing the system - anybody any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if your cold feed is blocked.

Look in the FAQ on this site.

Are you quite sure both pump valves are opening fully ???

I am not impressed by the "plumbers" you have called. Were they professional plumbers and members of the Institute? Or were they bodgers like builders? Or worse building labourers from down the pub?

Tony

sorry - 'both pump valves'? - the pump is a DAB - identical to the grunfos(?) that came out - the plumbers were out of the yellow pages - one of whom is apparently a reputable chap (the one that recommended the new system!)

also - woithout intentionally sounding like a fool - whats the cold feed? - the header tank? - if so would a rotten bit of carpet that had been used to cover the tank which had subsequently fallen into the tank potentially cause problems?!

Sponsored Links
Is this a twin or single pipe system, and was the system working ok before the new rad was installed. Have you connected the pump the correct way, and are you sure the pump is working, does the pump get hot and the pipes each side. There could be an air lock. Just some suggestions regards chrisey:cool:

i think single pipe - house age circa 1950s - but the pipe work connecting the rads is grey plastic 15mm, so i think the whole system was revamped when the immersion boiler was installed approx 8 yrs ago, but the pipework from the backboiler seems all original - copper larger bore. immersion works fine by the way - which can be heated electrically or from the backkboiler. as for the pump - it was upside down originally according to one of the plumbers - so he turned it around.

pump currently setup to draw water downstairs then through the backboiler and around the system - which goes back upstairs! so how do you determine the correct flow except for the location of the LS valves with relation to the flow of water through them?

If you have a drain point downstairs on a radiator, connect a hose and drain off leaving the system refilling, this might help to shift any air. Failing that you could leave the hose connected turn off the drain point, connect the hose to an outside tap open the tap and the drain point CAREFULLY to force mains water into the system But you would need to watch the waterlevel in the feed and expansion tank as you are reverse pressurising the system to force the air out. Make sure you have jubilee clips on the ends of your hose and the hose is in good condition. regards chrisey

urbanfox said:
also - woithout intentionally sounding like a fool - whats the cold feed? - the header tank? - if so would a rotten bit of carpet that had been used to cover the tank which had subsequently fallen into the tank potentially cause problems?!

Could be a bit of it has fallen in the tank and blocked the cold outlet, have a look, if not tie the ball valve up and drain a bucket of water form the system. If the f&e tank level has not dropped you have a blockage in the cold feed, usually where it t's into the heating pipe work.

I cannot see any reason for a new heating system, just an engineer who knows what he is talking about would do :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back