Cold rads after valve change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! My system (header tank, potty netaheat boiler) had a leaking rad valve upstairs. Drained down, replaced, filled up, bled rads (Though they have no more air in, but the water drips out, rather than being forced?)

So, no hot rads anywhere.

I can hear the CH pump working (Gudforce?), and there is another switch type thing to select hot water or CH, or both, I left this at CH.

What do you think? Gunge in system blocking it up? Any trick to reprime the pump?

My next step is to drain down with the CH running, hosepipe it all outside, so hopefully clear the whole system out? Or is this being too simplistic?

Going to Germany Friday morning so I'm in the stuk, girlfriend will kill me having no heating.

Sponsored Links
Air, gunge or duff valve I would say. I'd take the rad in question off again and open up the feed valve and see what comes out. Nothing possibly = gunge or if that is the new valve ! Don't assume new things are never duff.

Cheers for the response. All rad's are cold so I'm guessing it can't just be my new valve blocked, sorry if I didn't explain that well.

Talking to a collegue of mine, he agreed with my "Flushing idea" I'll post if it worx or not as a guide to others....

Now then, where to buy inhibitor at 18:51......

don`t worry about the inhibitor tonight, fill it through the drain hose from a mains supply, just watch the level in the F+E tank, they can be overcome by backfilling too quick.and some contain urine :eek:

Sponsored Links
did the drain down with header tank running..........no joy, did it again, no joy.

Went to the hot water tank cupboard, solenoid in there for hot water CH or both, turned it through 360 degrees (The selector switch on the front), lots of gurgling and banging noises, rads were hot within a minute. (This was pure guess, I thought the thing was about to blow up)

Still a little cold downstairs, but I'll look at this tonight.

What did I do? stopping the hot water to the CH pump prime it?

Airlock - air was trapped behind some valve, when you turned it on, it opened the valve and the air was able to move on allowing water to circulate - probably need to bleed one or two upstairs rads again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back