Cold water storage tank not filling - float valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from another post where I thought we had low water pressure into our cold water storage tank, I think the problem is internal.

This is because the main supply to the kitchen tap seems to be at full flow. The feed to the tank upstairs used to gush when refilling, but at some point last year when they had to turn off the supply temporarily, it filled up slower than it used to. This in itself wasn't really a problem until recently when another switch off caused it to fill even slower. However, we've managed having given enough time for the tank to refill - trickling / dribbling with water.

Now, it's literally dripping, so it hasn't even filled up sufficiently overnight.

We think it is the float valve which has gone. Please see pictures attached. I've put a cassette tape to indicate size of the gap.

It's not a tank in the loft, but above the immersion heater. The space to work with is therefore limited and not easily accessible. The tank is of the older gavanised metal type.

How much would it typically cost for a job like this?

Thanks for any help.

20180307_195033a_resized.jpg
View attachment 138696
20180308_185616a_resized.png
20180308_185835a_resized.png
20180308_190007a_resized.jpg
20180319_230245a_resized.png

Sponsored Links
To replace/ renew this valve is a simple diy job.
Shops like screwfix supply the complete valve, have a Google

Thanks, but it seems a little tricky considering the height of the tank and the access to it.

The valve seems coated in limescale - could I just take a hammer to it with a tray below to catch the bits?). Suppose that's what a plumber will do?

We tried to move the arm but seems really stiff.

That valve was put in in the 1960's - shown by the black dip pipe - it's well corroded. You'd need 2 sets of grips to undo it, and maybe a blowlamp to heat it first to unseize it. Horrible job because you're on a stepladder with your head against the ceiling, doing it by feel and trying not to drop the grips. London prices I would expect £100 plus. Specially if you live in Pimlico;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Nige

Is this a job you might be interested in?

I realise it's not like some videos online where the float value's clean and workable in a loft.

Thanks

Hi Nige

Is this a job you might be interested in?

I realise it's not like some videos online where the float value's clean and workable in a loft.

Thanks
Too far for me - I'm in Sussex, by the sea;)

That cistern needs more than a new valve by the looks of it, it needs cleaned and sanitised. The water in that cistern should be classed as wholesome and therefore should be suitable to drink but looks to be a bit corroded. Drain, scrub and recoat with a food safe coating if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back