Cold water storage tank not filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I thought the float valve was shot as I was getting a dribble out of it so I've replaced that. I've found no change with the replacement, still a dribble.

Mains pressure is fine. There's a stopcock in the loft from the mains for the cold water fill, could that be the problem, perhaps a blockage there?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Unusual but possible.....it has to be a starting point anyway. I'd turn it off, then crack open the next joint above it to see what's available there.
John :)

Thanks John, I did as you suggested and on the float valve side there were some black particles but nothing major. The black particles reminds me when the water meter was changed earlier this year and I had loads of crud come out of the kitchen tap.

All put back together and the flow has increased a lot but doesn't seem to be as it was but then this is a new float valve, at least I'll get a full tank later on.

I'm wondering if I should turn off the mains stop-cock and drain the mains to see what might come out.

Sponsored Links
Change the loft stopcock to a lever valve whilst your at it! Much better component!

if you take the ballcock off (leave the stem in place) and open the service valve so it can gush into the tank, it may wash the sediment away.

If the cold bath tap is fed from the tank, leave it fully open while you do this, it will let small sediment gush through and away without contaminating the hot cylinder. You can put a sieve in the tank if you want, to catch anything substantial.

as John says and look in the little white nylon "jet" in the float valve - don't take much to block them up.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. All sorted now.

It must have been from when the water meter was changed earlier this year when I had to flush several gallons from the kitchen tap to clear the muck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back