cold water tanks, stuff wot I need to do & the regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning folks,
More question in the ongoing saga of me moving my cold water tank up to the loft to increase pressure / reduce noise that annoys the missus when I run hot water at night coz of the noise of the tank filling back up.

Went to a few places last night to cost up replacement tanks, and was looking at some of the bits I'll need (connectors, jacket blah blah blah), and saw this kit for bylaw 30 compliance - WTF??

Seemed to be fittings for overflow (with a bit that goes under the waterline to stop nasties getting into the tank), and a vent valve for the tank lid - problem is what's the point when I'm having to cut a notch in the tank lid for the expansion pipe to fit through? Or have I missed something? :confused: Does bylaw 30 not vcount if you need to cut a slot in the lid for the expansion pipe

As a second question - what's the best stuff to use as additional sealant on the tank connector plates especially on the inside of the tank? Silicone?

Sponsored Links
There is a grommet supplied in the kit for the vent pipe and the lid has cut outs at either end.

OK, cheers for that - but seeing as I'll have a cutout in the lid and the bylaw 30 kit is stuff like a valve to let air in to the tank but not nasties like flies, what's the point in the kit? and should I waste 7 quid on it seeing as how I'll have a cutout? Does this remove the need to conform to bylaw 30?

Edit: - Just re-read what you'd said - I take it now that I have to fit a hole for the expansion pipe rather than the gash that's currently on my tank lid? Or am I still missing something??

Yes everything is sealed. Proper holes. DOn't got no byelaws no more, aren't they slow. Regulation 16.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Chris & Gasman - muchos appreciated..... So I take it that the tank lids are a right sod to fit if you have to feed the expansion pipe through?? Oh well - such is life I guess....

Cheers for the advice - doubtless I'll be back for more advice as I start the work :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back